Last two hunts - got five all together and NO wheats...!!!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Mark & I got out earlier in the week to meet Tim at a spot - never did find him, but I managed to find her to occupy my time :)

Merc small.jpg

Today, Mark & I hit a spot, actually he hit a great spot & called me over when he started finding oldies! Thanks, buddy! :wink: I'll let you read his post to find out what he got, but after he got his second old silver, I managed to find a '58 Rosie. Funny, after watching him pull his oldies out, I was being real careful digging, because I knew from his finds that it was an old area and I didn't want to take a chance with a real old coin. When old Frankie R. popped up, I had a good laugh at myself.

I wandered off quite a ways, coming across a roomy shelter - this sucker was BIG!

Home sweet home.jpg

and then on to a low area that floods but looks like it could have been a good picnic area at one time. I got a dime signal and before I was done digging, three more Rosies had come up from a pocket spill. Before cleaning, they were all badly tarnished and were tough to see in the dirt.

Finds.jpg

I got a couple of arrow tips, and the top part of a Listerine tooth powder tube. What's the deal with the elephant? It doesn't have any tusks. :icon_scratch:

Lambert tube small.jpg

The heart was in my junk from the first hunt where I found that Merc. It was caked in dirt and all tarnished up. There's no hallmark, but it tarnished and cleaned up like silver, and sounds silver when dropped. It looks like there's a seam along the inside edge - do sterling pieces ever have those? :dontknow:

So, it was a great day to be out today, there were a lot of finds between the two of us, and it was a thrill to see Mark have such a good time with his finds! I hope you all had a good day, too! :wink:

Flower.jpg

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Yeah, what a great day to be out hunting! Wish it could be like this all year long.

Congrats on those nice looking silvers Neil!!! :thumbsup:

I remember using tooth powder as a kid..... ::)

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it WAS fun getting out :icon_sunny:

I was pleasantly surprised. . . no, ELATED. . . that this area would
produce what it did. Definitely worth a second trip back :thumbsup:
I'm glad you got some silver out of this excursion :icon_pirat:

Neil, thanks again for the "insitu" photos you sent :wink:

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ON 5 SILVER COINS ! WTG :notworthy: I THINK TWISTIDD WOULD BE JEALOUS OF ALL THOSE ROSIES YOU FOUND!!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Nice digs Neil! Sounds like you guys hit one of those leftover remote spots back in there. Can't wait to see Mark's oldies! I knew there were a few old spots left in there that had some goodies ready to go!

Sorry couldn't make it today, again personal considerations limited my distance from home though as it turned out I would have had the time, just couldn't make that call until too late in the morning.

If you guys are up to it again tomorrow and the weather permits, I'm all clear for a go!

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds there Kimsdad

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Hey Neil,

I'm glad you two got out and found a new honey hole! Even though you didn't find any Barbers, you found four quality Rosies and some other cool finds. Four Rosies would totally make my day, for sure.

Hope to see you out there soon!

Joe

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missed this post...

Wtg.....