Man I got poisen Ivy for like the 10th time this year!!!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
Damn. 10 times? I think I had it once, but didn't really react to it. Just a small itch that lasted a day or two.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats not good dude.....You might want to avoid using the "facilities" whilst hunting. :wink: Hope your fealin better soon.

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't know it had a delayed reaction...
I don't even know for sure what it looks like but I always heard "leaves of 3 let it be".
Trouble is, there's tons of 3 leafed things in the woods.

Maybe you get it on your shoes or pants or gloves and then it transfers back to your hands when taking that stuff off?

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
search the TNET posts for 'poisen ivy'. They are some things you can do for relief. (the hot water treatment works great for me).

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mayo South Elgin said:
I didn't know it had a delayed reaction...
I don't even know for sure what it looks like but I always heard "leaves of 3 let it be".
Trouble is, there's tons of 3 leafed things in the woods.

Maybe you get it on your shoes or pants or gloves and then it transfers back to your hands when taking that stuff off?

During turkey season I walk through tons of it. It never bothers me until i tie or re-tie my boot laces.They get covered in the oil with me kicking through it and I transfer it to the inside of my fingers.Took me forever to figure that one out. Its very potent when it has the berries on it late season. I lightly scrape my fingers and apply clorox it dries it out.
Be careful and stay safe.
hh
tnmtns

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I don't think you get immune to it Kermit. In fact it may be just the opposite. Never used to bother me at all, nowadays I rash up a little now and then but I've had a few horrible instance between the ivy, oak and sumac over the years.

Where I used to work we'd take group trips to paintball up near Gurnee, that place was loaded with poison ivy. Some folks would really suffer, some not much. Seems like you're somewhere in the middle so be happy! The stuff can really take you out if you're weak against it.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you pick it up at.....?

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not exactly sure where I got it, I went out 3 times in the last 2 weeks. 2 times along the Desplains river than 1 time out west.. The dump thing is I wore long sleeve shirts all 3 times but the rash is all the way past my elbows. I don't know if it was ivy, sumack, or oak but I always seem to find it... :laughing7:

I think I am building an immunity towards it cause everytime I get it, it is less and less itchy. Don't get me wrong it still kills but it doesn't seem to itch all day and all night like all the times I got it last year, that and it usually only lasts for like 2 weeks unlike last year when it took like a month to clear up.

Kimsdad, its worse than last time. :sad11:

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Well I hope you got some goodies along with the Ivy... :thumbsup:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
do you wear the same shirt and roll up the sleeves?
the oil from that stuff transfers to everything. you have to wash everything with soap and water to get rid of the oils.
If I go into an area with the stuff, when I leave I spray my boots with a light degreaser to break down the oil

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I wore different long sleeve shirts and I never roll up my sleeves but the do ride up every once in awhile. I am actually thinking of getting a pair of long tube socks and cutting a hole for my fingers and another hole for my thumbs so it can fit under my gloves and under my long sleeve shirt.

What I also started doing after I got it really bad last year was when I get home I wash my arms with dish soap with "grease fighters" then take a hot shower and that has helped out a lot but my last trip out I didn't do that (dish soap) step. So that has to be why I got it bad now... LOL

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YIKES!!!!!!!!!

TnMountains mentioned Clorox. Growing up I could get poison ivy it from looking at it. The best trick I learned, if you even think you have been near it, when you get home do this.

Dump a healthy splash of Clorox in the bath tub, fill up with nice hot water, get in and rest your tires bones and soap up and wash as normal. The Clorox does a real good job of washing away the oil off of the plant. I have been there too many times. If I follow this routine, it is rare that any of it shows up.

Take the bath as soon as you get home, not after you have cleaned and washed all of your cool finds.

Good Luck!!

Bob

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea in the past I have used bleach, rubbing alcohol, and peroxide to dry them out. Good thing my arm hair is light or I would really look weird!!! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread