Copious Cladimus or... All that glitters is Not gold or silver

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I was out today for a mid afternoon hunt. I had high hopes for this local park which goes back to the days of silver and gold. I started swinging the coil and some of the geese eyed me suspiciously. Who was this guy who had no fear of walking through and sometimes kneeling in the fresh goose poo which seemed to be literally everywhere? It wasn't the famous goose poo flats of previous hunts but the only place this park seems to NOT be covered in it is on the baseball field.

I got a bunch of clad coins here and there, a couple of 2 coin pocket spills.
Then in another area I get a mixed bag of a signal, so I'm thinking can slaw or bottle cap but I dig it anyways. About 4 inches down I get into a pocket spill that had the most coins I've ever recovered from one hole. 13 mem cents, 3 dimes, and 4 nickels. Nothing old but it was kind of cool getting 20 coins in one hole.

Then I decided to hit an area that looked like it would have been a mini sled hill. I got another signal in the mem cent range and of course I was about ready to pass it up and I thought what the heck I'm here and the geese aren't so... I pinpointed with my coil, dug a plug and it wasn't in the plug. I turned on my trusty new Garrett Pro Pinpointer and it revealed just how far off the coil was, and told me the signal was at the bottom left of the hole. I continued to dig and probe and it was actually about 3 inches farther left of the original hole. Out comes a gold bracelet. The dark spots on it I thought were just encrusted dirt so I stuck it in the pouch to be cleaned later at home.

I'm starting to like this little sled hill!
I continue on getting more clad and then a loud signal in the dime/quarter or silver range.
Dug the plug, pro pointed and got the silver ring - which just like the bracelet, had encrusted dirt on it. I continued pulling more clad and by this time it was getting dark so I called it quits.

Once I got home I excitedly washed off the gold bracelet and the silver ring only to find that they were in fact, junk jewelry. The bracelet was plated and the ring was not silver at all but some weird metal that wasn't stainless or aluminum. Maybe pewter?

So the tally today: the 20 coin spill, the ring and bracelet, and an additional 5 quarters, 2 more nickels, 11 more dimes, 13 more mem cents.

The bling didn't photograph very well but it didn't deserve better.

Attachments

• RingBracelet.jpg
    RingBracelet.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 209

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Mayo,

Nice scores from the goose poo park! I like the little hills too, usually kinda trashy, but lots of good stuff in there. I have never found a 20-coin spill before nor anything close to that. Congrats!

Joe

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt, I think the most coins I have ever pulled from 1 hole was like 9 or 10 memorials.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yeah baby! Another cladventure on the Fox!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Mayo South Elgin said:
The bling didn't photograph very well but it didn't deserve better.
;D

Sounds like you had a good time!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I remember findign three rings one hunt with two in the same hole. When I got them home, I found that all three were junk! :laughing7: :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread