2 interesting woods finds

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Hi all,
Felt I'd post these as I have questions concerning them, and they are all I have to show for 5 hours in the woods today (besides the normal junk and clad).

The first, less interesting find is some sort of museum of Science and Industry token. Anyone seen one like this before (any ideas as to age?) (Slightly larger than a half dollar)

MSI Token A.jpg MSI Token B.jpg
On the one side it says: ASTAN PRESTON and "teletag" in the middle with the phone image. (Maybe it was a daycare or don't get lost from your parents thing for a kid named Astan?)

The more interesting find was this gun. At first I thought it was a toy, but now I am not so sure. It is very old; the handle was wood and there is still some rotting wood in it. Both the hammer and trigger are gone. It is heavily rusted especially on the barrel as you can see all that stuff sticking up from the gun. Where the revolving area may have been (now heavily rusted) appears to actually be open on both sides ie, what is there doesn't look like it was just for show, but actually something separate (but now rusted) from the rest of the gun. The non-rusted area has a nice patina.

Gun!.jpg

GunB.jpg

Comments welcome!
Thanks Jon!

(no silver today though...)

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Nice finds p2c! The token on the top is one of those deals you get from a machine. You put some change in a machine and then you can type whatever you want to put on a blank aluminum token. They are popular at museums and fairs. I still have one from the 1991 auto show, and one from the Lincoln Park Zoo from the eighties. I don't think they are that common anymore, but they are still made to this day.

Couldn't tell you about the gun, but I gotta say that I too find a lot of guns in the woods. Most are cast toy guns of course, but I did find a real pistol this past summer that makes me wonder a few things...

Joe

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jon, you hit the "bull's eye" with that gun. . . real for sure. . . and old :thumbsup:

2 years ago I found one of those aluminum tokens. . . I can't repeat "exactly" what it said
but it was funny as hell. . . something to the effect as: "so and so gives bl_ _ ws for free" :D :D

Man, I wish I was out there with you today :P

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Almost looks like a S&W model 1 if that is the extent of the original trigger guard, but the pattern was not uncommon from the late 1840's through the 1860's.

Nice finds!

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Any suggestions on the gun guys? I don't really know what to do with it. Electrolysis? I've never done that sort of thing before. I'm not sure if cleaning it is the best thing, but then again it certainly has a case of bad metal cancer.

Thanks Mark, Tim, Joe

Definitely the more I looked at the gun the more real I thought it was, since the barrel, trigger, hammer, and revolver all seem to be steel or at least something that rusts and the side plates were a different sort of metal that did not rust. I don't know how many toys would have different metals and wood handle.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jon, check out the "preservation" forum. . . I seem to recall something about soaking
rusted iron in lemon juice. . . don't do it though until you research it first.

THAT, is a totally AWESOME find :thumbsup: . . . to die for IMO.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Lowbatts said:
Almost looks like a S&W model 1 if that is the extent of the original trigger guard, but the pattern was not uncommon from the late 1840's through the 1860's.

Nice finds!
I agree 1840's to 60's

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro
WTG.... based on my experience as a weapon instructor (modern, not antique) and evidence tech if there is a number on the butt it's usually real. Of course I've been wrong in the past, lol. But I will go along with the advice NOT to do anything to it until you verify it. I'd put it it an airtight container with a moisture absorbing bag of silica to keep it from rusting more since it's now exposed to air. Look to see if there are "openings" in the cylinder and look down the barrel.

Just my 2 cents.

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Cool finds!
Looks like an old boot pistol to me, but I'm no expert.
Mike

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
Jon,
Excellent find! I agree with Kimsdad - I would take that over a silver anyday. Now you just have to find where the body was and there is your pocket spill of seated quarters :laughing9:

Makton

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find Jon....

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Try this for restoration. They may at least have some ideas, plus they're in the area. I've been there several times since its right down from me.

First Division Museum
Tue-Sun: 10am to 4pm
1S151 Winfield Road
Wheaton, IL 60189

Good luck, let me know if I can help.

Dave

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats an AWESOME find - BIGTIME CONGRATS!!!!

M

MR Senior L4S

The first, less interesting find is some sort of museum of Science and Industry token. Anyone seen one like this before (any ideas as to age?) //////////////////////////// found swepping my car flor , One is lettering ------------ F........... k U good luck , so i col Jon what i find , and start laughing for 5 minutes , then quit hunting and have some beer. One is ( bottom ) dated 1947 may 5,. others are from 60-tes . I found couple from MD , same blank size .

Attachments

• DSC06577.JPG
    DSC06577.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 246

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread