silver friday, gold saturday

snowskate

Dec 18, 2009
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/ Sunray Probe, Ace 250
haven't been able to do much hunting because of the snow/frozen ground lately but I have been on the lookout for goodies.

I am working at a gym part time and on friday I found a quarter on the ground and hoped it would be silver (ended up being an Illinois state quarter), then from the corner of my eye I saw a dime a few feet away.. a '59 D Rosie! My first "legit" silver for 2010! (I have been CHR'ing a little bit, and have about 10 40% halves).

Then the next night after the gym closed I made my rounds, and saw a ring in one of the cubbies. Looked like gold and from the first glance I couldn't find a stamp so I thought it was fake. Forgot to take it to the lost and found so looked at it under the light at home.. 10k solid gold mens wedding band! :icon_thumright: Wish it was a keeper but documented it at work and had it put in the safe. Hopefully some good karma for later hunts =)

Also went out for the first hunt of the year early yesterday morning. Raining and muddy, but got in about 2 hours. Hit up a tot lot and part of a sledding hill.. not much, and no keepers but I think I am improving a little bit. My digging skills could use some work.. I haven't mastered that for sure. It doesn't help that I'm not using a good digging tool. What stopped my hunt was my 3rd broken tool..need to get a single steel piece.

Anyways, ended up with 8 dimes, 7 pennies and a canadian cent. A few coppers, but unfortunately no silver. Maybe next time!

edit: testing out my macro skills
silveredit.jpg

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eyes to the ground will find you more than eyes to the sky.
Your hunt sounds like many we've all had, at least you weren't skunked.
Keep hunting often and you will have many good ones.
Good Karma does happen, let us know

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Good finds!
Was the '59 Rosie an eyeball find, wow! I can't imagine the odds against a silver coin being dropped on the ground in 2010! I guess that means our silver supplies aren't absolutely a limited resource, just one that isn't getting renewed at a very favorable rate. I get out this time of year in the woods.
If you have any woods around you, it is likely that the ground is not frozen. I know that central Illinois is some what arborially challenged ... Morraine State Park, if the ranger will give you permission (you need to get permission at state parks, there's an online form somewhere on the DNR site) could be a place to hunt. I read that supposedly somewhere in that park is located a really old grove (picnics were held in late 1800's). I couldn't tell you where it would be though.
-Jon

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Congrats on the silver and on the gold!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The odds of a silver drop are sa-limmmm! It was your lucky day, for sure!

WTG on turning that ring in, too! I'm with you on that decision. :wink:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Nice going 'skate!

Permits for both length of time and available grounds at state parks vary by site, you can get them at the office at the park you're interested in during normal office hours. The last time I got a permit at Rock Cut for example, it was good for three years, but the last one at White Pines was only good for three days while last time at Apple River Canyon I could only get md'ing permits for the nearby DNR hunting reserves, not the state park itself, good for several weeks if I remember correctly.

Some state parks like those considered to have some historical content or value are specifically off-limits. So forget about Starved Rock, they do not want you to unearth any of the MILLIONS of pieces of screw caps, pull tabs and assorted fishing gear they are preserving for future generations.

M

MR Senior L4S

If you have any woods around you, it is likely that the ground is not frozen. I know that central Illinois is some what arborially challenged ... Morraine State Park, if the ranger will give you permission (you need to get permission at state parks, there's an online form somewhere on the DNR site) could be a place to hunt. I read that supposedly somewhere in that park is located a really old grove (picnics were held in late 1800's). I couldn't tell you where it would be though.
-Jon
//////////////////////////////// Morraine is not on DNR list for MD , fine is 75$ //////////////////////

OP
OP
S

snowskate

Dec 18, 2009
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/ Sunray Probe, Ace 250
Thanks ! =)

Cool to know that it's rare to find dropped silver

I wish there were some woods nearby. There are some about 20 minutes away, and I am not sure if I am able to hunt there.. I tried once for about 20 minutes and just found a few pennies and a bullet encased in some wood lol.

Starved rock was on my initial list but I found out about the no hunting policy there unfortunately. I have talked to the ranger at Morraine over the phone and they said I'm good to go, I just need to sign in at the office, and I think she said the license is good for a year. Maybe I will try it out sometime this week or next. Is there anyone nearby that would want to try it out? I could use some tips =) I am going to a MD club meeting on wednesday, so hopefully I will find others to hunt with!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Lowbatts said:
Nice going 'skate!

Permits for both length of time and available grounds at state parks vary by site, you can get them at the office at the park you're interested in during normal office hours. The last time I got a permit at Rock Cut for example, it was good for three years, but the last one at White Pines was only good for three days while last time at Apple River Canyon I could only get md'ing permits for the nearby DNR hunting reserves, not the state park itself, good for several weeks if I remember correctly.

Some state parks like those considered to have some historical content or value are specifically off-limits. So forget about Starved Rock, they do not want you to unearth any of the MILLIONS of pieces of screw caps, pull tabs and assorted fishing gear they are preserving for future generations.

Hey Tim, out of curiosity, how did you do over at White Pines? That's the first place I ever detected (aside from my own yard and local park) when I was 13. Considering the machine I was using back then, I think I did OK...

Joe

M

MR Senior L4S

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 167

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread