18 c of Goodness!

justdigging50

Sep 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC and Minelab Explorer II
THAT WAS A VERY GOOD DAY! CONGRATULATIONS.
If the rest of the year is that good your going to have to get a bigger Piggy Bank.

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ON A SUPER DAY, WTG !! WHERE IS THAT SPOT? :hello:

OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
etrac007 said:

It's in the woods, next to the street, where there used to be an old house where an old man must've lost his pocket change :laughing7:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Lookn4seated said:
etrac007 said:

It's in the woods, next to the street, where there used to be an old house where an old man must've lost his pocket change :laughing7:

He he he, you're kidding, right?!?!

Hey Mike, do you really want to hunt THAT spot now?!?

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
Your gave away to much information, Jon! :nono:

Everyone knows that there is only one spot in Cook County with that exact description. I guess we'll just have to write off this place now as it will be hunted out for sure. :violent1:

Good going, Pal............

</sarcasm> :wink:

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
p2c said:
If you don't want to dig everything in that range, there are some tricks you can try (I don't know how they'll work with the ACE). Does pinpoint drop off rapidly if you raise the detector higher above the target or not. Larger signals (like big pieced of trash) wont drop off as rapidly as a coin sized target. Does the target seem to give a similar signal from different directions (you will lose compromised targets doing this)? Does the target seem round (pinpoint drops off left to right and right to left) similarly from 90 degree swings (again you'll loose compromised or on edge targets)?

Lowbatts said:
This is the most valid use of air tests for metal detectors, learning to pinpoint and determine target size/shape. Use some beavertails, pulltabs with beavertails intact and bent around each other, a gold ring or two, a gold chain or two and some nickels. See if you're machine gives a sharper tone over the junk than it does over the good targets.

Also see how the pinpoint drops off as you raise and lower the coil over the targets. Also note the dropoff on tone as you swing slowly across the target from several angles in pinpoint mode. Depending on the machine, this can be an eye-opener!

You or LowBatts are going to have to show me these tricks next time we're out together. I have yet to master the art of sizing a target with the pinpoint mode. I can see this helping determine if you've got a half/dollar or a can lid.

How does depth of target skew the accuracy?

Great information both of you!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
D-Dub said:
p2c said:
If you don't want to dig everything in that range, there are some tricks you can try (I don't know how they'll work with the ACE). Does pinpoint drop off rapidly if you raise the detector higher above the target or not. Larger signals (like big pieced of trash) wont drop off as rapidly as a coin sized target. Does the target seem to give a similar signal from different directions (you will lose compromised targets doing this)? Does the target seem round (pinpoint drops off left to right and right to left) similarly from 90 degree swings (again you'll loose compromised or on edge targets)?

Lowbatts said:
This is the most valid use of air tests for metal detectors, learning to pinpoint and determine target size/shape. Use some beavertails, pulltabs with beavertails intact and bent around each other, a gold ring or two, a gold chain or two and some nickels. See if you're machine gives a sharper tone over the junk than it does over the good targets.

Also see how the pinpoint drops off as you raise and lower the coil over the targets. Also note the dropoff on tone as you swing slowly across the target from several angles in pinpoint mode. Depending on the machine, this can be an eye-opener!

You or LowBatts are going to have to show me these tricks next time we're out together. I have yet to master the art of sizing a target with the pinpoint mode. I can see this helping determine if you've got a half/dollar or a can lid.

How does depth of target skew the accuracy?

Great information both of you!

Hey Dan,
All targets can shift category with depth, depending the matrix. By now you may have also noted how targets on edge will ring in with different numbers or even in different categories, especially with depth.

Thus the wide range of id numbers on your machine for say, IH's as opposed to say nickels. That said nickels shift category and id numbers very rapidly with depth or angle of approach, as does gold in the form of chains. One exception is with rings and of course pulltab rings, they stay fairly constant. This could be because they are a one-turn inductor by design and help influence the read in the ground.

If you have high confidence that your target is flat and giving a solid read on depth then sizing it using pinpoint is fairly easy, but that does require some practice. A good use of air testing in my opinion. Try a coin, beavertail and bent nail, and a piece of old copper conductor for instance. From 5 or 6 inches, swing the coil over these from a few different angles in pinpoint, you'll catch on quick.

But hey, I think I know that spot Jon referred to, it's near them trees, the ones with branches, right?

M

MR Senior L4S

D-Dub said:

Everyone knows that there is only one spot in Cook County with that exact description. I guess we'll just have to write off this place now as it will be hunted out for sure. :violent1:

//////////////// Dan tell them true THIS IS MR Senior old place , last year 1-2? seated , 4-6 barbers 10 , 4 LSQ ,6WQ , 2 BQ , over 10rossies , over 15 merc, wheats ? 100? , V -3-4?, Indians >30 . ////////// First time I invite You and Jon we have : 2SLQ , 3WQ, 5-6? Merc, 5-6 rosies, >20wheats, 1 buf. and dn't remember what else .. /////// now after You and Jon search area couple times wich E-track , place is OK only for 2-3 more hunting . ///////// I have locating old 1930 -up Ford under gr. We can try pul aut (not now!!!)

OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MR Senior said:
D-Dub said:

//////////////// Dan tell them true THIS IS MR Senior old place , last year 1-2? seated , 4-6 barbers 10 , 4 LSQ ,6WQ , 2 BQ , over 10rossies , over 15 merc, wheats ? 100? , V -3-4?, Indians >30 . ////////// First time I invite You and Jon we have : 2SLQ , 3WQ, 5-6? Merc, 5-6 rosies, >20wheats, 1 buf. and dn't remember what else .. /////// now after You and Jon search area couple times wich E-track , place is OK only for 2-3 more hunting . ///////// I have locating old 1930 -up Ford under gr. We can try pul aut (not now!!!)

Yes everyone, this is MR Seniors "old" place as he said. He has written it off with the "Whites", hehehehehehe, that's why I'm hitting it with my E-Trac now. Amazing at what the Vision leaves behind :laughing7: Time to upgrade MR Senior. :thumbsup:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
And the student becomes the master....

M

MR Senior L4S

Lowbatts said:
And the student becomes the master.... ///////// YES - I lost at least 2 years to lern, from beginning . Most faniest part is I told Jon gold signals on minelabs , and 20 min. later He had beuty gold cross with date ( same day and month-we hunting - but 1913 )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread