18 c of Goodness!

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out with D-Dub yesterday to a spot that has yet to fail for us. We have been there several times, and it always holds a surpise for one of us.

This time around the surprise was for me. First, out came the 1916 Merc that had my heart pumping until I turned it around and saw it was plain.

A little while later, I went to an area where we haven't hit as hard, and popped out the 1897 IH.

Then, I had an IH reading, dug a hole and saw a flat piece of dirt in the plug where the coin was. I ran the pinpointer and located the target, an 1874 Shield nickel...my first. I was thinking though, why did it come in like an IH. I rescanned the hole with the detector, and I'm still getting an IH reading....unearthing the 1866 IH. The IH was masking the nickel. Then a few minutes later I recovered an 1890 IH at the base of an old tree.

All in all a great day of hunting with good peeps. D-Dub didn't do so bad himself, but I'll let him tell his story. Thanks for passing up that Merc Dan! :laughing7:
HH!

Attachments

• coins 086.jpg
    coins 086.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 357
  • coins 087.jpg
    coins 087.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 344
  • coins 088.jpg
    coins 088.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 329
  • coins 089.jpg
    coins 089.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 338
  • coins 090.jpg
    coins 090.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 344
  • coins 091.jpg
    coins 091.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 333

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff! The IH laying on that nickel all those years meant that it was in great shape in the reverse.

Cheers,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snowskate said:
nice!!! can't wait until I find a real keeper.. one of those indian heads is at the top of my list

Patience is key. Just stay persistent and you will find one. Once you find one, they'll be much easier to find. I'm still looking for my first Large Cent and Flying Eagle cent and Half cent and Bust coin...Oh wow....I still have a lot on my wish list too. ;D

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Awesome finds L4S. The shield nickle is a good find. To bad nickles don't hold up well in the dirt. Plus a silvery treat for you! I wish I could find a spot like that!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hey Jon, great finds!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm still looking for a shield nickel. My kitchen countertop came early in the morning. I should have called you guys....

If you decide to change your name to Lookn4Flying Eagle, can I use Lookn4seated for a while? ;D

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Neil,
You could go as Lookin4Shield. Then you could be L4S also, maybe Mr.L4SCousin.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yeah buddy!

That's doin' it FIB style!

Nice haul, now pony up Dan!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smoke!!

That Shield is awesome. . . as well as the others :thumbsup:

Yep. . . definitely time to spray the de-icer on the machine and throw on
some extra socks and hit the woods ;D

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
That's a great shield, Jon. That IH was really taking care of it!

I wish I could get out...

Joe

M

MR Senior L4S

This time around the surprise was for me. First, out came the 1916 Merc that had my heart pumping until I turned it around and saw it was plain. ////////////////////// Im still looking for 16 D !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then, I had an IH reading, dug a hole and saw a flat piece of dirt in the plug where the coin was. I ran the pinpointer and located the target, an 1874 Shield nickel...my first. I was thinking though, why did it come in like an IH. I rescanned the hole with the detector, and I'm still getting an IH reading....unearthing the 1866 IH./////////////////// BIG ----- :occasion14: !!!!! for SHIELD -that is 3-to 9pcs. a Year finding for ILLINOIS !!!!!!

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
BIG ----- occasion14 !!!!! for SHIELD -that is 3-to 9pcs. a Year finding for ILLINOIS !!!!!!

-Walde, you keep stats on these things? I want to know the # of capped bust liberty coins found in Illinois per year?

M

MR Senior L4S

p2c said:
BIG ----- occasion14 !!!!! for SHIELD -that is 3-to 9pcs. a Year finding for ILLINOIS !!!!!!

-Walde, you keep stats on these things? I want to know the # of capped bust liberty coins found in Illinois per year?
/////////////////// JUST 40 + years experience MD //////////// Capped bust are more common than shield nickel to find . ///////////////

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
MR Senior said:
p2c said:

/////////////////// JUST 40 + years experience MD //////////// Capped bust are more common than shield nickel to find . ///////////////

Don't get me wrong Wally Man, but I got three shields last year, no CB's again. Yes Virginia, there is a greater likelyhood of SN's than CB's every where you go. Simple answer is people have been digging silver/copper coinage for decades while nickels lagged behind in finds, mostly due to disc levels of most hunters. Since I've been chasing those nickel/foil signals as well as those silver signals for a couple decades+, my experience has been just the opposite of what you describe.

Turn that disc down and watch them pop up!

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds L4S!! What a great start to the new year. Do you guys always
have this much luck in January around here? Found my first shield (1867)
last March in my yard. I'm using less disc. programs each year in my
yard.

snowskate

Dec 18, 2009
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/ Sunray Probe, Ace 250
I probably have around 10 hours or so of total hunting time and still haven't found a nickel. I do usually avoid foil, but nickel signals always seem to be something other than a nickel. What do you mean disc levels? If I turn the sensitivity down, I will find nickels? I'd really just like to upgrade to a better detector, but I am determined to find the value of the detector (ace 250) before I do.

I had a dream last night that I found a IH, I want one!

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
snowskate said:
I probably have around 10 hours or so of total hunting time and still haven't found a nickel. I do usually avoid foil, but nickel signals always seem to be something other than a nickel. What do you mean disc levels? If I turn the sensitivity down, I will find nickels? I'd really just like to upgrade to a better detector, but I am determined to find the value of the detector (ace 250) before I do.

I had a dream last night that I found a IH, I want one!

I don't know about Ace's but typically nickels area the hardest to disc out. My experience was with my Fisher, they were a fairly spot on 29 if new. If corroded they't be +/-5, and junk abounded in that range. With my E-trac, beaver tails (old pull tab parts) sound just like a nickel but louder. From that experience, turning down sensitivity may make you hear beaver tails (which give a stronger signal) and may drop nickels out. Remember on most detectors that nickel/trash range is where a lot of jewelry falls.

If you don't want to dig everything in that range, there are some tricks you can try (I don't know how they'll work with the ACE). Does pinpoint drop off rapidly if you raise the detector higher above the target or not. Larger signals (like big pieced of trash) wont drop off as rapidly as a coin sized target. Does the target seem to give a similar signal from different directions (you will lose compromised targets doing this)? Does the target seem round (pinpoint drops off left to right and right to left) similarly from 90 degree swings (again you'll loose compromised or on edge targets)?

My 5 cents...

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
" there are some tricks you can try (I don't know how they'll work with the ACE). Does pinpoint drop off rapidly if you raise the detector higher above the target or not."

Right on Jon!

This is the most valid use of air tests for metal detectors, learning to pinpoint and determine target size/shape. Use some beavertails, pulltabs with beavertails intact and bent around each other, a gold ring or two, a gold chain or two and some nickels. See if you're machine gives a sharper tone over the junk than it does over the good targets.

Also see how the pinpoint drops off as you raise and lower the coil over the targets. Also note the dropoff on tone as you swing slowly across the target from several angles in pinpoint mode. Depending on the machine, this can be an eye-opener!

M

MR Senior L4S

Don't get me wrong Wally Man, but I got three shields last year,////////// Have 1 , posted I will send You 1 ancient coin at least 60$worth //////// no CB's again. Yes Virginia, /////////////// THIS IS ILLINOIS !!!!!!!!!! EAST HAVE EVERYTHING WE DONT //////////there is a greater likelyhood of SN's than CB's every where you go. Simple answer is people have been digging silver/copper coinage for decades while nickels lagged behind in finds,//////////// YES!!!/////////// mostly due to disc levels of most hunters. Since I've been chasing those nickel/foil signals as well as those silver signals for a couple decades+, my experience has been just the opposite of what you describe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions