1st Silver of the Year!...Found Out of State....Picture Added 3/1/10

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Just got back from Tucson, Arizona from visiting relatives. Was able to get out a few mornings for a few hours to a hunt a nearby park. It sure was nice to be out detecting in 70 degree weather versus the last time I was out in January chipping through frozen ground for a few wheaties. In Arizona I found 6 wheaties, a 1920s Bull Durham tobacco charm and the 1908 D Barber quarter below. Looking forward to my first official "Illinois Silver"..............which probably won't happen until March.

1908-1.jpg

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1st Silver of the Year!...........Found Out of State

Nice!!

Since there were never ANY coins minted in Illinois, you can count that in your 2010 totals ;D

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Congrats on the BBQ! Nice way to start the year. Did you drive to Arizona, or did you fly? If you flew, how did you take the detector?

Joe

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro

Awesome BBQ!
Yeah, you must have had a rude awakening when you got back here.

OP
OP
Pocket Spill

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac

Joe,
I flew out but I mailed my detector.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used

I think if you check bags it may be fine. But the only problem is it could get stolen. I know people who have expensive photography equipment and there is a limit of how many cameras/lenses you can carry-on per TSA. They are very leery of checking their equipment. So their trick is to buy a starter pistol, which is considered a firearm (but not illegal to carry/own most places), put it in their checked baggage. They declare they have a firearm. That forces the TSA to handcheck the baggage and certify everything in it (since you don't want the firearm to get stolen). Thus their camera equipment is safe from thieves. You could try that if you ever want to take your detector, but are afraid it may be stolen in the checked baggage.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Congrats!

Went from cleaning up the Christmas tree here to picking grapefruits and oranges off the tree down there a couple times myself, it's awesome!

Good to see you scored down there for sure, but I don't think the tally is for coins found in Illinois, but for our homies who score, whether it's a home game or away! C'mon, count it up!

And yeah, I'm with you on the March thing. with some luck.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used

Of course long term predictions are very inaccurate, but accuweather's 15 day forecast does not show a single day where there will be any significant melting (that's through 2/26), so yes it does look like March is a good bet (hope its March and not April ??? :-\ )

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

WTG, Patrick!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I was wondering what happened to you since we haven't heard from you in a while. I'm glad you got out & hit it up right! :thumbsup:

Any chance of us seeing that Bull Durham item? :)

Olderactor

Oct 28, 2008
Old Irving Park Chicago, IL
Detector(s) used
XLT, Excalibur ll, E-trac, Explorer 2 xpdeus, minelab 3030

Welcome back. Nice silver. I'm getting anxious to get out again. Rereading Andy's book on etrac, just to keep the juices flowing!!

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro

I do the same thing as P2C except mine isn't a starter pistol, lol. One thing that does help is to use a TSA lock(s) on your checked bag. This way if TSA does need to check in the bag they have the key and at least the bag is locked which helps "deter" theft. Some TSA locks even show if TSA used their key. (Not that the ramp rats might do that, lol. I was a ramp rat in college. Now most everything is outsourced too).

Just remember that if you do use the "firearm" route you need to keep it in a locked hardsided case in the bag and you need to declare it (quietly) at the counter and show it's unloaded and any ammo must be secured, not loose. No curbside check-in either. And don't let the agent try to get you to take it out and "show" them. I had one agent try that with me. Remember that you're at an airport. I keep my sidearm disassembled, solves that problem.

Any questions just "shoot" me a PM. (Pun intended, lol)

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

nice one! congrats

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Still counts in my book.....
Very nice start Pat.....

OP
OP
Pocket Spill

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac

Here is a picture of the Bull Durham tobacco charm that was requested that I found in Tucson where I found the Barber Quarter and wheaties

001.jpg

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Pocket Spill said:
Here is a picture of the Bull Durham tobacco charm that was requested that I found in Tucson where I found the Barber Quarter and wheaties
Now that's a cool relic!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting the pic, Patrick!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread