now swinging an etrac, what will be my first silver? SILVER FOUND

snowskate

Dec 18, 2009
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/ Sunray Probe, Ace 250
Well, I went with the etrac, and it is a sweet machine! I'm still not used to it, but looking forward to digging lots of deep treasure. Went out hunting with dirtfishin dave and snowmanfromtexas the other day and used it for the first time. I said that I'd be happy with one keeper and that's what I got. A 1944 wheatie about 5 inches down, better than nothing. Dave and Tracy both did much better than me with several wheats and Dave got a couple mercs. Was hoping for more but the soil conditions weren't the greatest. There is still some mud on the etrac.. makes me think twice about going out in the rain again.

How about a small contest. Can you guess what my first silver will be? Winner gets a 40% Kennedy half. If you can guess the denomination AND correct year, I will give you a 1oz 999 silver round. One guess, and Illinois peeps only :)

UPDATE:

Hunted for a few hours today, and just as I was about to give up I slapped on the joey coil and went in my backyard. First signal was good so dug it up and it was a 1957 rosie! First dug silver of the year.

57rosie.jpg 57rosieclean.jpg

Congrats Lowbatts for being the closest, you have won a shiny 1969 Kennedy Half! :)
prize.jpg

Hopefully something a little older next time!

TreasureGuy25

Dec 1, 2009
North Suburbs, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Ace 250, ProPointer
Re: now swinging an etrac, what will be my first silver?

Good luck with the etrac! And my guess is your first silver is going to be a 1964-D Rosie (just playin the odds there :thumbsup:)

HH

Ted

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro

I'll guess a 1942-d mercury dime. Good luck ...

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Dan..... Good luck with your new E-Trac......It was a couple months after I got mine before I got used to it and started finding silver.......If I had to guess...........I would guess you may find a 1945 p merc.......
Good Luck , Dave

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Good luck, hey wait, you won't need it with the guys you're hunting with. Do as they say, do as they do, and we'll seeing you on top of the silver pile by year's end too.

I'm hoping your first silver is a solid bar ingot, about 75-80 lbs from an old lost shipment but I think you'll take that '54 rosie and be satisfied.....

dimeaday

Dec 6, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
quattro--EXII--Ace 250

1944 mercury dime,,don

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Grats on the new E-TRAC. You will be out hunting day and night now. My guess will be a 1964D Washington.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1920 merc

garbageman

Mar 20, 2009
Joliet, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Tesoro Tiger Shark

I'll guess older. A 1914 Barber dime. Good luck with your new machine! -Garbageman

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Hey, Congrats on the new machine! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You're going to love it! (Especially with those two pros showing you the ropes.)

I'll say you're going to find a '41 Merc first. I figure I'd better get my guess in fast because it might be hard to wait to hunt again & you might find it soon!

Thanks for the cool contest! :wink:

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF

I say a 43 Merc. Now get out there and start hunting :laughing7:

Makton

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1916D Merc dime Just kidding

1902 Barber Dime

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY

Enjoyed getting out with you Dan. Wish the weather would have cooperated a little better for us but that is what spring and summer is all about. I think you will find a 43 merc with a S mint mark. If you havent found one by the time we hunt again I will bring one, bury it and let you find it. LOL. Cant wait to get out again. SMAN...

OP
OP
S

snowskate

Dec 18, 2009
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used

Thanks everyone, and I would be happy to see any of those coins! I've been playing around with the settings this afternoon trying to get familiar, and I have decided I am going out hunting using Andy Sabisch's coin hunting pattern. Hitting up a late 1800s park that is supposedly "hunted out" and where a guy at a meeting last month said there were plenty of injuns. Hopefully the conditions will cooperate.. will report back :D

OP
OP
S

snowskate

Dec 18, 2009
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used

Well, no silver today. I tried for about 4 hours with no luck. I dug 21 targets, 10 junk, 10 clad, and 1 1945 d wheatie. $1.52 in clad and I got my first nickel ever.. a 1999. A newspaper reporter approached me and asked me some questions, took some pictures; so I guess I will be in the paper tomorrow or the next day LOL. Not sure if that is good or bad, but at least I was at a hunted out park and not one of my top priority sites. She stayed for one target and it was a pop tab with a AA battery next to it, I hope she doesn't put that in the article :laughing7:

Must.. have... silver.. to be continued.....

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro

Skate,
yeah that sounds a little embarrassing getting in the police blotter section of the paper (just kidding) but at least if you are digging junk out of the ground and its pictured, it puts us in a good light (assuming you recovered the trash) :thumbsup: Also, glad you dug a nickel. I've heard from others that the etrac is a little weak on nickel signals, so it's good you heard one. Now you'll start hearing more and there Will be ones that aren't just modern Jeffersons.
-Jon

OP
OP
S

snowskate

Dec 18, 2009
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used

I resent the trash but I do recover it. I did find an old pepsi bottle cap which I thought was pretty cool. Not worth keeping IMO though. I'm hoping for a buffalo soon. I was pretty picky with the signals.. I'm still not sure about a lot of them. Some signals sounded good, but I passed them up because the FE numbers were jumping all over the place and were high.. I figured it was most likely trash. I'll dig more iffy signals when digging conditions are better.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

snowskate said:
Well, no silver today. I tried for about 4 hours with no luck. I dug 21 targets, 10 junk, 10 clad, and 1 1945 d wheatie. $1.52 in clad and I got my first nickel ever.. a 1999. A newspaper reporter approached me and asked me some questions, took some pictures; so I guess I will be in the paper tomorrow or the next day LOL. Not sure if that is good or bad, but at least I was at a hunted out park and not one of my top priority sites. She stayed for one target and it was a pop tab with a AA battery next to it, I hope she doesn't put that in the article :laughing7:

Must.. have... silver.. to be continued.....

Hopefully you can link us to the paper if/when they get space for your mug and what you dug. Better still if there were a quote in there from you on how you're helping clean up the trash in the park for nothing more than loose change.

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If your find old bottle caps, your going to find goodies

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread