Oh ya, just thought Id share...

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Oh ya, just thought I'd share...

I found out today that, as of January 28th of this year, I am officially an Italian citizen living abroad...my dual citizenship finally came through (and it only took a little over 4 months... ::) )!! Now to go to the consulate and find out how much it costs to get an Italian passport...gotta check with the US state dept. to see what effect this will have on my US citizenship...according to my Dad, I should be ok as long as I don't vote in any Italian elections, or run for any political office over there, otherwise I might lose my US citizenship...this is gonna be fun!! ;D

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Re: Oh ya, just thought I'd share...

Spooky said:
Interesting.

People die trying to get to this country.

I, myself would be dead were it not for the ability to come here.

Some can't wait to leave it.

Have "fun".

Ouch.

Paul, looks like this guy fell for one of the classic blunders. NEVER go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!

Joe Pesci

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro

As long as it does not affect your us citizenship, there are a lot of benefits of having dual citizenship. It makes it a breeze going to Italy definitely. On top of that if you are ever in a country in which it could be dangerous to identify as American, you can identify as an Italian citizen.

OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010

Joe- HAHAA!! Funny!! Except my family isn't from Sicily...wrong part of the country...we're from waaayyyy up north...my Dad used to hike and play in the Alps as a kid....so that's kinda like comparing someone from Texas with someone from North Dakota... :tongue3:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Spooky said:
twistidd said:
Spooky said:
Interesting.

People die trying to get to this country.

I, myself would be dead were it not for the ability to come here.

Some can't wait to leave it.

Have "fun".

Ouch.

Paul, looks like this guy fell for one of the classic blunders. NEVER go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!

Joe Pesci

I think you misunderstood my comment as inflammatory....

Actually that was the fat little bald guy in the movie "The princess bride" (the quote)

And I'm sorry, but if people have a problem with this country and wish to only experience the good things, maybe they WOULD be better off somewhere else.

Am a "racist, nationalist, hatemonger, insert buzzword here??"

If it makes you happy to call me that, than fine...

But I do know what I AM PROUD to be, and that's an American.

And part of that is NOT calling myself an "XXXX-American", and a BIGGER part of that is NOT being an American only when it is "convenient" or "expedient" to do so..

I EARNED the right to call myself an American.

You start off by assuring us that your comments were not inflammatory, but you then proceed to act condescending to Paul, who simply stated he is enjoying his dual citizenship. Who are you to suggest he ought to act differently? As if he's less of an American than you are. Isn't there a whiney political forum on this site you can sob in?

Sincerely, A PROUD Italian-American,

Joe

Qualcuno dovrebbe rimuovere questo tipo. :wink:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a friend that had dual Itisalian/USA citizenship, once he turned 18 he was under the idea that when hes nexts steps foot in Italy he will be arrested because he never showedup for their mandatory Army draft. You might want to look into it. :laughing9:

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro

I agree with Kermit, check out the military thing. I, for one, never carried any ID that that showed me to be a cop or when I worked for the Feds or even when I was in the reserves when travelling out of the states for vacation, etc. Dual passports sound good to me in some cases.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used

Spooky said:
twistidd said:
Sincerely, A PROUD Italian-American,

Joe

Qualcuno dovrebbe rimuovere questo tipo. :wink:

(pressing 1 for English)

What "Type" would THAT be?

Awesome...

I speak other languages as well.

( a proud NON-HYPHENATED American)

Hugs and kisses,

Spooky.
:laughing7:

Part of the proud American tradition was pre-WWII pre-FDR Facism, was communities around this great country identifying as Norwegian, or German, or Italian, or Irish. Oftentimes these communities maintained much of their cultural distinctives such as language, customs, identities... That was lost due to fear of not being viewed as "American" during the WWII period. I am sorry that you are behaving like a facist and confusing patriotism with facism. Paul was just sharing his happiness for being granted dual citizenship. I am happy for him. I don't really understand why you have to enforce a very strict and narrow set of norms on people. It is not as if he was doing something immoral, committing crimes, or assaulting your identity, etc...

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Spooky, you don't really know any of us, but like to think that by reading a quip or two here that you can tell how we feel about things or that you know what we have or haven't been through. That's foolish, unless you are someone who just enjoys riling things up here and there - I don't know, as I don't know you. You know nothing about the world any of us as individuals have lived through or what experiences have shaped our views.

Spooky said:
My mistake was thinking that you did, and I regret wasting my energy writing about it.
I concur.

You need to get out and make some good finds & post them! HH when you do! :thumbsup:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

I'm siding with Treasureguy on not siding. I just love you all too much and expect every last one of you at this year's big Cinco De Mayo parade in Elgin. (It's Mayo's 5th something, I think...)

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Glad to hear your good news Paul. Now let's get down to some Metal Detecting.
The sun will be out sometime next week, we can only hope.

OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010

Wow!! So many comments here....TF and Dave- I'm not worried about the military thing for a few reasons...1) I'm a U.S. veteran, and based on comments made to me by my ex-wife (who is from Germany (long story there)) most, if not all, European countries will give credit for military service in the armed forces of ANY NATO member country...that, and, being 39 years old, I think I'm a little too old to play soldier anymore....been there, done that...(U.S. Army 1988-1993, IL ARNG 1993-1996) :tongue3:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used

So about that weather...!!!

Spooky, I hope to be able to MD with you someday, I think you'd present an interesting outing. Good luck this season. Get out and get a tan and rock on with your bad self!

HH!!! ;D

Joe

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro

56 on Tues !!!!!!! :hello2: (..and I still have the t-shirt ! )

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used

I apologize if my early remark was a bit inflammatory... Spooky I was not calling you any names, and if you perceive it that way, I apologize, rather I was commenting on behavior, but perhaps I too should have bit my tongue (or in this case held my fingers...) I am too say the least frustrated at the political environment today (either extreme of the spectrum) and so perhaps my comments were colored by that, but also added to that; now that being said, let's get out and hunt and find the goods back from the days when our coins bore the image of liberty and not some person ....

Have a good time out there hunting and perhaps we'll meet up someday. Hopefully that will be on good terms and not bad...

B

BigDan

I just want a dang coin!!!

Yesterday I went to my favorite farm field and dug up more iron relics and four shotgun shells. I was trying a few "hot" locations where my new old friend remembered buildings. That didn't work. No pics...I am too embarrassed. But I had fun and each time I whittle the "bad" locations down...the "good" locations of the field get easier to find.

Anyway, I just wanted to interject that I'm glad to see some reasonable conclusions came out of the tense posts. I believe everyone involved is a good American with the best of heart. We all bring different experiences, and from those experiences we have different attitudes.

Go find stuff!!!!

BigDan

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on your dual citizenship :thumbsup: and a personal Thank You for serving our country :)

Lets all get out and do some hunting soon :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread