Oh ya, just thought Id share...
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    it
    Jan 2010
    93 times

Oh ya, just thought I'd share...

I found out today that, as of January 28th of this year, I am officially an Italian citizen living abroad...my dual citizenship finally came through (and it only took a little over 4 months... )!! Now to go to the consulate and find out how much it costs to get an Italian passport...gotta check with the US state dept. to see what effect this will have on my US citizenship...according to my Dad, I should be ok as long as I don't vote in any Italian elections, or run for any political office over there, otherwise I might lose my US citizenship...this is gonna be fun!!

it
    Nov 2007
    Chicago
    White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
    1 times

Re: Oh ya, just thought I'd share...

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky
    Interesting.

People die trying to get to this country.

I, myself would be dead were it not for the ability to come here.

Some can't wait to leave it.

Have "fun".
    Ouch.

Paul, looks like this guy fell for one of the classic blunders. NEVER go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!

Joe Pesci

"Go deep or go home" - LAdigger

p2c

Apr 2009
    Matteson, IL
    Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
    5 times

As long as it does not affect your us citizenship, there are a lot of benefits of having dual citizenship. It makes it a breeze going to Italy definitely. On top of that if you are ever in a country in which it could be dangerous to identify as American, you can identify as an Italian citizen.

it
    Jan 2010
    93 times

Joe- HAHAA!! Funny!! Except my family isn't from Sicily...wrong part of the country...we're from waaayyyy up north...my Dad used to hike and play in the Alps as a kid....so that's kinda like comparing someone from Texas with someone from North Dakota...

it
    Nov 2007
    Chicago
    White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by twistidd
    Interesting.

People die trying to get to this country.

I, myself would be dead were it not for the ability to come here.

Some can't wait to leave it.

Have "fun".
    Ouch.

Paul, looks like this guy fell for one of the classic blunders. NEVER go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!

Joe Pesci

I think you misunderstood my comment as inflammatory....

Actually that was the fat little bald guy in the movie "The princess bride" (the quote)

And I'm sorry, but if people have a problem with this country and wish to only experience the good things, maybe they WOULD be better off somewhere else.

Am a "racist, nationalist, hatemonger, insert buzzword here??"

If it makes you happy to call me that, than fine...

But I do know what I AM PROUD to be, and that's an American.

And part of that is NOT calling myself an "XXXX-American", and a BIGGER part of that is NOT being an American only when it is "convenient" or "expedient" to do so..

I EARNED the right to call myself an American.
    You start off by assuring us that your comments were not inflammatory, but you then proceed to act condescending to Paul, who simply stated he is enjoying his dual citizenship. Who are you to suggest he ought to act differently? As if he's less of an American than you are. Isn't there a whiney political forum on this site you can sob in?

Sincerely, A PROUD Italian-American,

Joe

Qualcuno dovrebbe rimuovere questo tipo.

Mar 2008
    Chicago IL
    Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
    88 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I have a friend that had dual Itisalian/USA citizenship, once he turned 18 he was under the idea that when hes nexts steps foot in Italy he will be arrested because he never showedup for their mandatory Army draft. You might want to look into it.
    Come check out my MD'ing videos:
    http://youtube.com/user/TreasureFiend

Feb 2008
    DuPage County, IL
    DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro

I agree with Kermit, check out the military thing. I, for one, never carried any ID that that showed me to be a cop or when I worked for the Feds or even when I was in the reserves when travelling out of the states for vacation, etc. Dual passports sound good to me in some cases.
    Never argue with a pig, you'll only get muddy and besides, the pig likes it !!  And vote the BUMS out !

p2c

Apr 2009
    Matteson, IL
    Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by twistidd

Sincerely, A PROUD Italian-American,

Joe

Qualcuno dovrebbe rimuovere questo tipo.

(pressing 1 for English)

What "Type" would THAT be?

Awesome...

I speak other languages as well.

( a proud NON-HYPHENATED American)

Hugs and kisses,

Spooky.

Part of the proud American tradition was pre-WWII pre-FDR Facism, was communities around this great country identifying as Norwegian, or German, or Italian, or Irish. Oftentimes these communities maintained much of their cultural distinctives such as language, customs, identities... That was lost due to fear of not being viewed as "American" during the WWII period. I am sorry that you are behaving like a facist and confusing patriotism with facism. Paul was just sharing his happiness for being granted dual citizenship. I am happy for him. I don't really understand why you have to enforce a very strict and narrow set of norms on people. It is not as if he was doing something immoral, committing crimes, or assaulting your identity, etc...

us
    Apr 2008
    Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
    E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
    23 times

Spooky, you don't really know any of us, but like to think that by reading a quip or two here that you can tell how we feel about things or that you know what we have or haven't been through. That's foolish, unless you are someone who just enjoys riling things up here and there - I don't know, as I don't know you. You know nothing about the world any of us as individuals have lived through or what experiences have shaped our views.

My mistake was thinking that you did, and I regret wasting my energy writing about it.
    I concur.

You need to get out and make some good finds & post them! HH when you do!
    God bless our veterans! Thank you for your sacrifices!

us
    Dec 2009
    North Suburbs, IL
    Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Ace 250, ProPointer
    2 times

I'm not going to comment on either side (although I do stand by one), but last I checked this was a metal detecting forum... http://www.uspoliticsonline.com/ ...enjoy the debate.

us
    Jul 2003
    Elgin
    Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
    57 times

I'm siding with Treasureguy on not siding. I just love you all too much and expect every last one of you at this year's big Cinco De Mayo parade in Elgin. (It's Mayo's 5th something, I think...)

us
    Let's go diggin!!!

Dec 2009
    G P, Illinois
    DFX
    390 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Glad to hear your good news Paul. Now let's get down to some Metal Detecting.
    The sun will be out sometime next week, we can only hope.

it
    Jan 2010
    93 times

Wow!! So many comments here....TF and Dave- I'm not worried about the military thing for a few reasons...1) I'm a U.S. veteran, and based on comments made to me by my ex-wife (who is from Germany (long story there)) most, if not all, European countries will give credit for military service in the armed forces of ANY NATO member country...that, and, being 39 years old, I think I'm a little too old to play soldier anymore....been there, done that...(U.S. Army 1988-1993, IL ARNG 1993-1996)

it
    Nov 2007
    Chicago
    1 times

So about that weather...!!!

Spooky, I hope to be able to MD with you someday, I think you'd present an interesting outing. Good luck this season. Get out and get a tan and rock on with your bad self!

HH!!!

Joe

Feb 2008
    DuPage County, IL
    DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro

56 on Tues !!!!!!! (..and I still have the t-shirt ! )
    Never argue with a pig, you'll only get muddy and besides, the pig likes it !!  And vote the BUMS out !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links