Skunked... "cept trash

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Skunked... "cept trash

Happened to go past a place in the FPD that we kids played in back in the '50's (I know, I'm old). Had the DFX in the back so what the heck. First off, most of the area was flooded and secondly, boy was it TRASHED. Things have really changed, lol. You know its bad when the best thing you find in an hour is the remains of a bicycle front fork !! Just tops/bottoms of beer cans (what happened to the actual can?) and one of the world's biggest collections of old type pull tabs. They hadn't even invented pull tabs when I was last there, so it wasn't me. Oh, did I mention MUD!

So much for a spur of the moment first time out this year. At least I didn't dirty up the new Explorer SE. Its going to be a looong year at this rate. lol

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Re: Skunked... "cept trash

I see tons of those can bottoms/tops everywhere I hunt. I hate them, because my machine picks them up horizontally from 8 - 12 inches away, especially when they are on the surface. I clean many up, but there seems to be an endless supply. It is a good sign when you find the ones that pre-date pull tabs and were opened kind of like how oil cans were opened.

My 16-s merc was hidden by one. Had I not cleaned it up, I'd never have heard the merc signal.

I am not sure, but 2 things, the metal on the lids were thicker than the sides, so the sides rusted away. Back when cans were steel, that is what happened. Some of the lids were aluminum on the steel cans, I actually found a lid in pristine condition touting "Aluminum" and "Easy open" where you were supposed to puncture it with an opener.

Trash is a major annoyance but is also a 2-fold opportunity: 1) It hides the goodies from lazier people and 2) it gives us the opportunity to clean the place some and perhaps we can impress that on Tori Preckwinkel and others.

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nowadays I stay away from trashy sites when the grounds wet. It's harder to get seperation because every signal is stronger but on clean ground the deepies can turn up. Anyways it's just nice to be able to get out. Spring is near.
HH
John

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Geez Dave, pre-dating pulltabs?!? So you're saying your the one who left all the cone-top beer cans in the woods, eh?

Well the place is trashy, that's a good sign. Means it hasn't been pounded to the point of being cleaned up yet. Probably a good spot, considering some sites I've been to where even the trash has been hunted out....

OP
OP
davebien

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used

There was so much trash there that I would have needed a front end loader (really) to collect it all. I did look under most of it. I just need to get deeper in the woods to where the lazy kids didn't go to drink. The whole area past where I did get to was flooded so there's hope yet.

Looking out the window today that may not be until Aug at this rate. jeeeeez

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Awww c'mon, Dave! Chuck that crutch DFX (sorry John) and put that Aussie machine to work! You've got a great machine just waiting to get muddy & find you something good! :wink:

OP
OP
davebien

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used

There was so much junk, metal, glass there that I should have worn boots with steel insoles. I was just really mad that the area further back was flooded. The new machine hasn't been out of the house yet and from what I've heard/read the tones need to be "learned". I wouldn't know what I was hearing or seeing on the screen without some practice at least. Besides, I'm a slow learner with this "finding" stuff. Now if you want something blown up..... :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread