I got a 2 Pak instead of a 6 Pack

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a great time out in the wet and muddy wilds of the suburban forest preserves, with the usual suspects. Tim, Dan, Mark, Neil - did anyone else show up that I didn't see or remember?
The forest preserve cop eyeballed us in the parking lot but he left when he saw our vehicles were not backed in.

The place was huge enough to provide a full season of hunting for coinage and relics.
I hope it doesn't take that long for some of it to be found.
Most of what I found was weird metal objects, not pictured. A fully intact horse halter made from nylon webbing rather than leather - I left it hanging on a tree limb just in case the horse comes back for it. Got the usual shotgun casings and the one live bullet.
One memorable dig was two feet down just to find a cast iron drainage pipe out in the middle of nowhere that looked like it ever had plumbing of any sort. I kept digging because I envisioned a rifle barrel or similar shaped 3 foot long object. We are optimists aren't we? Maybe next time.
I think it was Tim that found the kitchen sink - an old style porcelain one with the drain board at the side of the bowl. I didn't want to tell him how much those are worth now to people that want the retro look in their kitchens - otherwise he would have tried to carry it out of the woods. Evidently it was home to several mice that didn't appreciate seeing daylight when he turned it over.

After we left the woods we had a so-so lunch at Buona Beef. Tim's combo was sparse and vanished in 3 bites, and my Italian Sausage was ok but the fries were blah. After we got back to Elgin we checked out some old digs in a not so good neighborhood that had some cable or utility work done in the parkways. It's an historic location that goes back to at least 1910 but we didn't find anything from the early days unless you consider the early days of Rap music. I had dug a few mem cents, a dime and a quarter and a nickel - all clad, and then I got the 2Pak emblem. I guess it could have been on a chain or maybe it was a keychain. Very close to that I got the ring from about 6 inches down. I think it's silver but it's not stamped or marked with anything. The center stone is a cats eye and there are 6 stones that are probably rhinestones but I'm hoping they're diamonds (3 each side of the center stone).

The photos aren't the greatest but after spending several days fixing and recouperating from a hard drive failure and the associated snowball effect that's the best I could do!

Hope to see you guys out there (or anywhere) again.

Attachments

• Woods&City.gif
    Woods&City.gif
    169.9 KB · Views: 182
  • RingBling.gif
    RingBling.gif
    89.7 KB · Views: 178

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
The 2PAC fob is a pass card for the Asylum East apartments we were in front of while detecting. That ring is awesome looking up close, couldn't be that deep that long and come out that shiny if it wasn't some kind of silvery treat.

Maybe some Sunday early a.m. we can hit the "star shop" there. I'm pretty sure I lost some change there, no wait, was robbed there, once.

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mayo, nice looking ring. It looks to be hand crafted, definitely a keeper. Sterling is a poppin, I dug one Sunday near the courthouse (no stone) HH

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
Aw yeah, I get around. Still clown with the underground, when we come around.
-2Pac

Nice digs Mayo.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt and an awesome ring!!! :icon_pirat:

justdigging50

Sep 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC and Minelab Explorer II
I hope they turn out to be diamonds for you. Nice Finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread