Does anybody hunt in the Paris, IL area? Any good spots or history to try out?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Nearest I've gotten is Matoon, Sullivan and Shelbyville on a couple weekenders. Great history, great age on the sites thereabouts! But those old photos from the 70's or 80's of Shelbyville where there were like 2 or 3 HUNDRED md'ers in the park there did have an effect, a few of the nearby towns do not like md'ers.

Hunting the best of the old grounds in Shelbyville is a dice roll, even with good equipment. That and you need an ACE (Army Corps of Engineers) permit on some the old grounds since the corps regulates a lot of the area around the lake there.

Hit a few spots over in Bloomington, In. on the other side of Paris also. Darn interstates make the easy spots all too accessible and all too hunted....

Hit those old maps and newspapers at the local library and let us know how you do!

OP
OP
T

TraumajockRN

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I'm really interested in history plus it gives me a break from grad school studies. lol

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Had some real fun in Mattoon when they were tearing up the park next to the old railyard there 7 or 8 years ago. Still staying awake all night over that one.... Wait, I work third shift, that's why I'm up all night.

Keith (Indiana)

Jan 4, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Last time I hunted Shelbyville park I found a bust dime believe it or not. It was so worn it took a few DAYS to figure out what it was. It was on edge right next to the sidewalk on the south side of the Chautauqua building. Now I heard they won't let you detect there anymore. >:( Can anyone confirm that?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Keith (Indiana) said:
Last time I hunted Shelbyville park I found a bust dime believe it or not. It was so worn it took a few DAYS to figure out what it was. It was on edge right next to the sidewalk on the south side of the Chautauqua building. Now I heard they won't let you detect there anymore. >:( Can anyone confirm that?

Heard that from a PATH member I believe. No official confirmation though. Probably best to go there and ask the local LEO on patrol at the time, always the best solution in my experience. Sullivan and several other nearby towns will state a no MD rule if you call and their police will let you know when you get there if you ask them.

But as with many places you may get two different answers depending on whether you ask a desk jockey or ask a patrol officer. While there may be no law on the books, you may be told it is not allowed if you call. I've actually had local PD tell me where some good sites are in places where bureuacrats will say you can't hunt w/o regard to whether there is an ordinance of any kind RE md'ing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread