2 Pocket Spill Day! Definitely My Best Hunt Yet! ...Cleaning tips?

TreasureGuy25

Dec 1, 2009
North Suburbs, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Ace 250, ProPointer
On Wednesday I went to a place that I've hunted a few times before, with nothing much more than a few wheaties and an indian. The first picture is of the first pocket spill... pulled out an '05 Barber, 17-S Merc, '45-P War Nickel, 4 wheaties, and 1 indian! After I got back from putting my finds safely in the car I checked the surrounding area very thoroughly. 10 feet away I got another pocket spill! This one had a 26-D?S? Merc, 48 Rosie, and 50 Deutscher German coin (not to familiar with foreign coins?) Also found 5 more wheaties throughout the hunt.

And among the other relics/bullets/casings I found a cool pipe that cleaned up great and the pieces still twist apart. Any info on it would be great too, looks pretty old!

--> I would appreciate any tips on cleaning the copper oxide off the silver especially, and a good way to make the indian and wheats look nice. I don't plan on selling but I do like them to look nice while retaining value/not being destroyed by cleaning. I usually use a 3% or 35% peroxide on coppers with a baking soda rub down, and just a light baking soda rub on silvers, but was looking for any better ways, again, especially on the silvers.

I'll post pictures of the cleaned coins once I decide which method to go with. Thanks for looking!

Happy Hunting

-Ted

Attachments

• Spill.png
    Spill.png
    362.6 KB · Views: 236
  • Total.JPG
    Total.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 230
  • Barber:Merc Obverse.JPG
    Barber:Merc Obverse.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 239
  • Barber:Merc Reverse.JPG
    Barber:Merc Reverse.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 229
  • Merc:Rosie Obverse.JPG
    Merc:Rosie Obverse.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 233
  • Merc:Rosie Reverse.JPG
    Merc:Rosie Reverse.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 227
  • Nickel:Deutscher Obverse.JPG
    Nickel:Deutscher Obverse.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 217
  • Nickel:Deutscher Reverse.JPG
    Nickel:Deutscher Reverse.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 218
  • IH Obverse.JPG
    IH Obverse.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 229
  • IH Reverse.JPG
    IH Reverse.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 222
  • Pipe 1.JPG
    Pipe 1.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 221
  • Pipe 2.JPG
    Pipe 2.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 223

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
Nice digs! Great looking pocket spills you got there. As far as the pipe.....well....its a stoner pipe....could date back to the 1960's but probably 70's or 80's. Still a nice take on the day!! Really like the '17 Merc and barber!! Congrats! :thumbsup:

KEverett

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. TreasureGuy25 ...

May I be as so kind to say that this post has literally brought tears of joy rolling down my face ... :'(

To see such a fine example of one of the most rarest moments in a metal detectorist's life is truly a treat for the senses.

You sir have my highest esteem ... :icon_thumright:

Congratulations ~ Al

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I lost that pipe in 1977 on the way to see Skynyrd and REO.

Baking soda does clean silver nicely, but destroys any hint of silver luster and is easily spotted by anyone with a trained eye. Best thing for silver is hot water bath and a water pik. As far as copper goes, Mark (Watercolor) has posted some cleaning tips here and there on the forum and always presents very nicely done coins. Check out some of his old notes!

Great hunt, congrats!
Keep the pipe, at least until trash day....
I find a couple of those every year and they never make it back to the car if there's a garbage can around.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats what I dream about - 2 sweeeet pocket spill in one hunt!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
10 years ago, I would have taken that pipe and "dime" bag over those old coins any day. ;D

Huhuhu, Sweet digs, man! :tongue3:

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, looks like a great site. That pipe looks like something I distantly remember :dontknow:
HH
John
P.S That coin is german (50 pfennigs?) Worth about 25 cents when I lived in Germany in the 70's.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Great job Ted! :thumbsup:
I am not sure what to say about cleaning those dimes. Obviously, having the copper oxide stuck on them detracts and lowers the value, so I don't think you'd do much to lower the value cleaning unless you do a really hack job. I am afraid something like electrolysis is out of the question because I'd only attract the CU particles to the silver.
IF the Cu2O is not on too hard, just try scotch tape. Stick it to the coin real well and pull off. Repeat a few times and see what you can get off.

If that does not work, you may want to try soaking in some sort of oil and very lightly pressing on the Cu2O with a toothpick, proceed slowly and gently. Or as others have suggested, baking soda.

Barber dime is nice, is that your first?

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent Finds..Tho I don't know about a best way to clean the Greanies...

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow ted that is a great day of detecting, i'm talking about the coins of course, i don't have any experience with the pipe, but have seen friends from high school days with them before.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome pocket spills!!

I agree with you. . . that copper oxide is brutal.

You might try some "naval jelly" (available from ACE Hardware) on the silver.
I haven't used it on silver. . . yet. . . but I have used it on gold and it's wonderful for eliminating that copper oxide.
It might be worth a try.

Take care,
mark

OP
OP
TreasureGuy25

TreasureGuy25

Dec 1, 2009
North Suburbs, IL
Detector(s) used
marinedad said:
wow ted that is a great day of detecting, i'm talking about the coins of course, i don't have any experience with the pipe, but have seen friends from high school days with them before.

Thanks Mark, hopefully we can get out sometime soon again!

OP
OP
TreasureGuy25

TreasureGuy25

Dec 1, 2009
North Suburbs, IL
Detector(s) used
p2c said:
Great job Ted! :thumbsup:
I am not sure what to say about cleaning those dimes. Obviously, having the copper oxide stuck on them detracts and lowers the value, so I don't think you'd do much to lower the value cleaning unless you do a really hack job. I am afraid something like electrolysis is out of the question because I'd only attract the CU particles to the silver.
IF the Cu2O is not on too hard, just try scotch tape. Stick it to the coin real well and pull off. Repeat a few times and see what you can get off.

If that does not work, you may want to try soaking in some sort of oil and very lightly pressing on the Cu2O with a toothpick, proceed slowly and gently. Or as others have suggested, baking soda.

Barber dime is nice, is that your first?

Thanks for the advice, tape worked pretty well! And yes that is my first barber, can't believe I pulled out a coin spill like that! I had figured coins like that were only found deep by the top of the line detectors, it was a rush!

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Hell, maybe I should got back to using my Ace 250 :icon_scratch:

Sweet looking spill!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions