Finally a good hunt! My second highest silver total for one day!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
I've got a lot of crap going on lately, and haven't been getting out much. When I have been out, I'm really not doing very well with finds, and often get discouraged and cut it short. :-\

Today was different though. I received permission from a homeowner to hunt a private yard. :thumbsup: This house didn't really look that spectacular as far as potential targets go, however at the end of the day I knew that it had been passed by during the great detecting binge of the 70's. :)

First off, I had to dig several memorial cents to get a feel for the likely depth of older targets. For a the longest time I couldn't find a wheatie! After about an hour, I got first silver, a Rosey. Within a few minutes and a few feet, I picked up the ring. It looked good, but after cleaning, it looks like chrome plated copper. :-\

I found another Rosey a while later and then the wheats started coming up. Before long I got a signal that I wasn't sure about. :icon_scratch: Seems all the coins were ringing up on the low side as far as conductive numbers go. I wasn't sure if this target was a dime or a quarter. :dontknow: I cut a relatively small but thick plug and the target was still in the hole. I stuck the digger in and cut another clod out. This time the target was not in the hole, but in the dirt on the digger. I touched the dirt and saw a bit of a silver rim. When I moved the top of the dirt, I was shocked by the sight of a big silver - a '52D old balding Ben! :o :o :o Since I forgot my camera, I had to use my phone to take these poor quality pics.

Half small.jpg

As the day wore on, I managed two more Roseys and two Mercs, with 21 wheats and a '47 Canadian penny coming up in-between. :thumbsup: The religious pendant looks like cheap metal. One of the Rosey's was really dinged when I found it.

Sink small.jpg

It was hard to leave this place, but at the end of the day, I'm fairly certain that I got all of the best targets. At seven silvers in one hunt, this turned out to be my second all time high for silvers. :) The funny thing about this place is the near total absence of clad dimes. I found only one on this property all day. It seems like the coin dropping youngsters grew up and moved away decades ago.

Finds small 3.jpg

Sorry about the long post & all the pics - it's been a while since I've had a great hunt so I'm out of practice as far as restraint goes. :tongue3: Thanks for looking at my post & HH! :)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yeah Baby!

Attachments

• Yabba-dabba-diggens!.jpg
    Yabba-dabba-diggens!.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 226

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SuperSplendorifficExpialidocious .... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Neil this day you are the Jedi Master ... :notworthy:

Nothin but Love ~ Al

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Neil! :notworthy: Bigtime congrats.

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Now go back and get all the nickels and gold, you..you...cherry-picker you... :laughing7:

That must have been a blast digging all those great signals.,, 21 wheats? Is that a record for you?

Congrats on the Ben, Neil!! :thumbsup: :headbang:

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Nice haul of silver and those wheats are in great shape too.
Mike

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Neil,
Awesome job! No need to apologize for the long post, you deserve it bud. Glad you had a great day :thumbsup:

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ON A GREAT HUNT!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread