good news and bad news

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Got out with DFW today, returning to his "spot". THE GOOD NEWS: I found my first indian. THE BAD NEWS: It's (imho) a p.o.s. The obverse is covered with hard, cementlike crust, date is unreadable, and may have been partially eaten away by pitting. Also, I put a small/minor scratch on the reverse while trying to clean it with a bottle brush that has a wire center >:( . Any cleaning ideas? I currently have it soaking in isopropyl alcohol in the hopes that may loosen the crust. PEROXIDE DOES NOT WORK!!!! I tried it for several hours, it did nothing. Maybe I'm just tired, but it seems like all the coins I dig are crappy, except for clad (which I don't really care about).....HOW COME EVERYONE ELSE'S COINS ARE GREAT???????????? Just seems like I have s*itty luck.... :-\

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Quit your whining and get out there and find some shiny stuff!

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a tough day to be out there in the heat. When you MD often for years and years you get those kind of finds. Better days ahead only when your out metal detecting

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Congrats on your 1st Injun! :thumbsup:

Try some fine steelwool on it. Makes mine look great.

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Quit your whining and get out there and find some shiny stuff!

Ditto ~ Al

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Kimsdad said:
Let's see. The last time I dug any Indian was November 4, 2009.

Any Indian is better than none.

Ug!

What? You dug an Indian on my Birthday and didn't send it to me? :crybaby2:

:laughing7:

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
Congrats on your first Indian, Paul. :thumbsup:

The way the Indians come out depends on the soil makeup. Chicago parks and woods that are close to the rivers seem to be the best places for them. Try a toothbrush and some soap. There is always electrolysis too. Personally I don't care how they came out I'm just glad I dug one. If they come out great, awesome. If they are toasted I throw them in with the wheaties.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Good job Paul. Be happy you found one. I have found 6 now and like others said, they do really vary in how they come out of the ground. If it is pitting, be careful. I have found with Indians that have pits, the rest of the surrounding patina and surface detail can come off really easy when you try cleaning. I made the mistake of using a sonicator on such a pitted one, only to see the pit grow with the vibration. If it is really brittle, try this, use some boiled linseed oil. Soak a paper towel with the oil. Then wrap the coin in it an depress it under a heavy weight (like a book) for a couple of weeks. When the oil has dried, peel off the paper towel. Hopefully the loosened gunk (and not any coin) pulls off with the oil/paper.

OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
D-Dub said:

The way the Indians come out depends on the soil makeup. Chicago parks and woods that are close to the rivers seem to be the best places for them. Try a toothbrush and some soap. There is always electrolysis too. Personally I don't care how they came out I'm just glad I dug one. If they come out great, awesome. If they are toasted I throw them in with the wheaties.

Thanks. I finally got a date off of it. It's an 1893. I had to scrub the obverse w/ steel wool to get the crud off and read the date, thus trashing the coin. Oh well, I threw it in w/ my wheats. Still, it's now the oldest coin I've ever dug, besting the '07 V nickel I found last week. Still wanna find silver @ the "hot spot"....we shall see....

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Clad the Impaler said:
D-Dub said:

Thanks. I finally got a date off of it. It's an 1893. I had to scrub the obverse w/ steel wool to get the crud off and read the date, thus trashing the coin. Oh well, I threw it in w/ my wheats. Still, it's now the oldest coin I've ever dug, besting the '07 V nickel I found last week. Still wanna find silver @ the "hot spot"....we shall see....

Maybe a seated will come your way... maybe you'll be the lucky one to get a seated quarter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread