Did I just become a suspect?

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Have been having a real rough go of it lately. Last silver was 5/8. I think in that time I've only managed one Indian Head and clad. Then I got a tick and had to go on antibiotics, but today the frustration topped out :help:

As I was parking at my place which has given me nothing now in ages, a Black SUV pulls up blocking my way (I was in kind of a circle drive). I got really nervous because though it could be a cop, it could also be a particularly aggressive mushroom hunter or worse. A few tense minutes pass and a cop comes out and I am told that we have been having problems here and I need your ID. What are you doing here? Where are you from? I a state of shock, I gave him my ID and said a partial truth--I like to hike down there. He took my ID, called in, then went and was looking at my car plates for quite a while in back. Without my knowing it another marked suv pulled up while he was checking my plates. I was completely cooperative, except for leaving out the Metal Detecting part, though that didn't seem like what they were interested in. He again mentioned they have been having problems there the last couple days, and I asked if it was safe for me to go down there and okay to park where I was. He said yes and then left. While I was detecting, my conscience bothered me, so when I got home I did email the specific police dept (hope that was not a mistake) and apologized to the officer for not mentioning my metal detector and explained that I was cleaning a lot of trash out of that area. At any rate, I have no idea what they were investigating and hope that I am not a person of interest now.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
I wouldn't feel guilty about not mentioning your metal detector any more than mentioning safety flares, a jack or anything else. I wouldn't have offered up any emails either, if they need any additional info they will contact you. Chances are pretty good that they also looked through the windows of your vehicle and noted the contents without issue. :coffee2:

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
I know offering up extra details is not wise, but I also do have a conscience and have to live with myself and my conscience told me that not mentioning the metal detector in that instance was wrong. Maybe I do have an overactive conscience but I emailed for conscience sake.

The detector was in plain sight in my hatch back...

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
p2c said:
I know offering up extra details is not wise, but I also do have a conscience and have to live with myself and my conscience told me that not mentioning the metal detector in that instance was wrong. Maybe I do have an overactive conscience but I emailed for conscience sake.

Assuming the area you were in is legal for your activity, whats there to feel guilty about?

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Blacksheep said:
p2c said:

Assuming the area you were in is legal for your activity, whats there to feel guilty about?

First, the guilt was not over metal detecting, but misrepresenting my activities, but

Other Chi-town area people will affirm this: Most municipalities don't have explicit rules posted forbidding it. There is no way to ascertain and if you ask, then there may be no rule forbidding it, but someone in charge decides they don't like the idea of it and tell you no, even though its not against the rules. This area is in a small municipality by me that is part park and part undeveloped commercial property owned by the municipality. It is all woods and overgrown and that adds an added level of complexity. So, while what I was doing, though technically not illegal, could be frowned upon or even prosecuted for some obscure reason, if someone decides they don't like the activity. Essentially welcome to Chicago, the land of big, Obama style government which disregards laws it does not like and enforces laws that don't exist based on caprice.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
p2c said:
Blacksheep said:
p2c said:

Other Chi-town area people will affirm this. Most municipalities don't have explicit rules posted forbidding it. There is no way to ascertain and if you ask, then there may be no rule forbidding it, but someone in charge decides they don't like the idea of it and tell you no, even though its not against the rules. This area is in a small municipality by me that is part park and part undeveloped commercial property owned by the municipality. It is all woods and overgrown and that adds an added level of complexity. So, while what I was doing, though technically not illegal, could be frowned upon or even prosecuted for some obscure reason, if someone decides they don't like the activity. Essentially welcome to Chicago, the land of big, Obama style government which disregards laws it does not like and enforces laws that don't exist based on caprice.

No need for guilt, the police saw your equipment and did not pursue anything to that end. I would be cautious about returning in the near future however, not because of your detecting but rather not knowing why the police were there investigating, stay safe. :wink:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Only thing you did wrong was get nervous. Better to get a little miffed and do not wait to find out who is pulling in front of you, get over there and say Hi, ask them what their damage is, etc...

Get out and get on with your business and they'll move along quicker, everytime.

Geez, you act like you've never been beaten by cops before! Just stay on the ground and keep yelling, "I am NOT resisting!"

I think you better come up this way soon and hang out with Mayo and me, get a primer on a relaxing day th'ing in a park.

Rumplebattskins

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 words ...

Miranda Rights ... :-X

:wink: ~ Al

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Don't sweat it, they're just doing their job.

Next time, be forthright and you won't have feelings of guilt.

If that doesn't work, throw yourself on the ground and start yelling "Don't taze me, bro!"

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Geez, you act like you've never been beaten by cops before! Just stay on the ground and keep yelling, "I am NOT resisting!"

Rumplebattskins

:headbang:

They were Probably looking out
for Illegal Dumpers.

Personally I would have told them I was there to detect.
in the first Place.

But never would have called to Admit anything after the Fact.

Would you have called if you forgot to tell
them you had an Egg sandwich in the Glove Box ?

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Next time just tell 'em you're out checking your crops. And you'll cut 'em in if they keep their mouths shut.

Works for me every time! :laughing7:

Attachments

• 21db50e221d04bfea4ae69424c013cd7.jpg
    21db50e221d04bfea4ae69424c013cd7.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 166

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread