Ended my silver drought today!!

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Decided to hit a new tot lot in the 'burbs early this morning. Not 30 minutes in, I thought I had my first silver Washington quarter. 4 inches down, still shiny, staring back @ me perfectly flat, it just had that "look" to it that sends a thrill up the leg of every dirt fisherman....A TEASE!!!! It turned out to be a '65!!!! WHY???? :'( :tongue3: Anyway, after about an hour there, headed back into the city to another tot lot that I hit pretty hard a few months ago. Apparently, nobody goes to tot lots w/ change anymore, as I only found 2 memorials (yeah, I know I cleaned it out pretty good....so much for rapid replenishment...). Decided to try the park, then the woods. Right away, found 2 clad quarters on the surface near one of the baseball diamonds. Found a few decent clad pocket spills in the grass, too. Hit the woods near the spot where I found the nice ring a while ago, and, after just a few minutes, I get a solid dime hit. Turned out to be a '42 merc only 1 inch down!! I think the recent heavy rains and flooding exposed it when the river went down. I put a very minor scrape in the reverse w/ my Lesche (wasn't expecting a merc so close to the surface), but it's still a nice looking late merc!! And silver too!! ;D I think it's my reward for digging so close to a giant pile of human poop (only about a foot away from where I found the merc). I REALLY hate the fact that some people (for whatever reason) just seem to think that the world is their toilet...Also found a toasted '47D wheatie exposed on the riverbank (glad I didn't fall in getting it). Todays clad totaled $4.70 (12 quarters (includes the infamous '65 teaser), 15 dimes, 1 clad Jefferson nickel, and 15 pennies (14 copper and 1 zinc)). Oh yeah, the toy skateboard was a bonus surface find. Forgot to mention the 2 wheats I got earlier this week ('56D and a toasted '28). Pics below. Enjoy!!

Attachments

• Picture 105.jpg
    Picture 105.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Picture 106.jpg
    Picture 106.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Picture 107.jpg
    Picture 107.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Picture 108.jpg
    Picture 108.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Picture 109.jpg
    Picture 109.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 96

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Oops, I left something behind the last time I was there... Glad you didn't step in it.

We'll try to up your numbers tomorrow Paul!

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice merc Paul and with a solid dime target nothing is going to get in your way.
Grats on another silver drought comes to an end.

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
You're doing great with that Ace! Do you notch out anything or run it wide open?

Nice finds! :thumbsup:

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
I would have been worried if the dime was in the deuce. Would have given me an idea how lowbatts was trying to hoard his silver. Congrats on breaking your silver dry spell.

justdigging50

Sep 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC and Minelab Explorer II
Congrats on ending that drought. It sucks going weeks without a good find I get the shakes. Human POOP that sucks but if there was silver under it I'm digging and holding my nose!

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impaler ... I have seen a 1916 D Merc come out of the ground & the signal was under a recently used prophylactic ...

So dig em all my good man & a super congrats on that delicious dime ...

~ Al

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Ha! ha! If I ever have to unload out there, I'm going to put a clad quarter down first, just to give someone else a hard decision to make later. :laughing7:

Great find on the Merc!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I popped one up with a screwdriver that was just 1 inch down at a local school. I think it was brought in with fill. You never know...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread