Whats metal detecting??? :D

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
What's metal detecting??? :D

OK OK OK I'm sorry I've abandonded you all, friends and colleages, fellow deep diggers and denizens of the ditches. Time has been flying by pretty quickly these days, hard to believe I haven't even signed on in over a month.

So we got our house! We have obtained our vintage 1927 bungalow here in Chicago, a home that was dark, void, and without form. Pretty much all of my time outside of work has been at the house, repiping, replacing electric, drywall, painting, procuring all necessary appliances and hosting countless contractors. Our home came complete with boarded up windows, gang graffiti, half-assed retrofitted plumbing, and gutters so full of leaves that mature earthworms were found IN THE GUTTERS. Yeah, think about that.

A labor of love, though as tiring and aggravating as it is sometimes. We have done so much to this house so far, but there is still quite a ways to go. The house was stripped bare and sat vacant for over a year before we stepped foot in it, so, as some of you can imagine, it's been time-consuming attempting to make this abode liveable.

I have gone out a couple times since March, for a few hours each trip, and don't have too much to show for it, but I'm not worried about it too much. We are having a blast in our new place. We plan on making the big move in the next week or two. We ordered a couch which will be delivered tomorrow. There is still much to do, but it's good times.

I hope to get out some more once the really big projects are completed. I miss you guys and would love to get out with a group soon. I will surely be hosting a T-Net BBQ this summer and you and your moms are all invited! I've got the biggest backyard I've ever had in my life now! I have always had tiny Chicago yards, now I have a big Chicago yard, which is likely comparable to a tiny suburban yard- but it's nice to me. Anyway, I've gotta run, I'll try to check up on here more often. I have to catch up with your stories and finds. Peace out and Go Hawks,

Joe

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Re: What's metal detecting??? :D

Congrats, Joe!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's good to know the king :icon_king: and queen :icon_queen: have a nice castle!

I hope you hunted the yard!

I wish you continued good luck getting it alll ready!

Get back to hunting as soon as you can! :wink:

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

good luck at basicly a new home.

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Reminds me of that movie "The Money Pit". Hope it turns out better for you. I figured you found a gold cache and skipped town. Good hearing from you.
HH
John

P.S. Hunt that yard!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Way to go Joe!
Sell them worms to robins for seed money!

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Someone needs to fill him in ... 8)

Congrats Joe ...

Your perseverance will pay off ... & yes sometimes a break to the real world is needed.

The house sounds like it's WAY COOL ... ALL THE BEST OF LUCK ... mine is never ending :-[

Nuthin but luv ~ Al

Olderactor

Oct 28, 2008
Old Irving Park Chicago, IL
Detector(s) used
XLT, Excalibur ll, E-trac, Explorer 2 xpdeus, minelab 3030

So what coins have you found in your yard?? I'm sure you have been checking the old clothes line area.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's great to hear from you and congrats on your new home :thumbsup:

The first house ALWAYS has a way of taking over your life in the
beginning whether you want it to or not. Once you & Amy get settled in, and
are relaxing in the back yard, you'll look back on all this and just smile :icon_sunny:

Take care!
Mark

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro

It (a house and yard) is worse than a boat. Try just under an acre. Now its powerwashing things and than up to those 2nd floor gutters. I'm getting too old for this!! Where's that Lotto win ?

Congrats and welcome to the "club". lol

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome buddy!!! When you have us over I'll toss a few silvers in the yard for ya!!! :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1

TreasureFiend said:
Awesome buddy!!! When you have us over I'll toss a few silvers in the yard for ya!!! :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

Yeah, and I'll bury a dozen nudie tokens for "LiL Twistidd" to dig up someday.... :thumbsup:

Sounds like life is good, Joe! :thumbsup:

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great to see you back on board. Glad to hear everything is going well with your new home! See ya out there soon bud. :thumbsup:

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1

Good to hear from you Joe! Make sure you are watching "Holmes on Homes" so you know what to look out for from those contractors... or how to do it yourself, the right way. I know I've done stuff not quite right, even though I try to learn everything I can and do it 99% right... I'm just not a "know it all" and could have done better if I had watched shows like those that are on these days.

Have fun with it and I'll be looking for that BBQ invite!

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Damn! $1,845.00 for new downspouts? The hell outta here! Who's installing them, Donald Trump? They can take their estimate and shove it down their downspouts.

So basically, hunting the backyard was always on my mind. Naturally, the first thing I did after signing my life away for the house was take the detector to the yard and swing away. Man, all the silvers I imagined coming out of the ground. Would I find any Barbers? Probably a merc or two, definitely a few rosies. There was no evidence of foul play (regrading); the ground was lumpy and the soil black. The large apple tree in the back is visible on the 50's aerials, and attached to a lower limb of this tree are the remains of what was once a swing- two old iron rings and a couple links of heavy chain. The tree has enveloped much of this. Bingo! Easy silver! Or....

I put the 'phones on and turn the detector on and immediately am greeted by the harsh sounds of intense electrical interference. Popping, fuzz, all kinds of strange sounds I haven't heard before. I thought something was wrong with the detector, but after turning it on and off a few times and not getting any improvement, I looked up and caught the culprit- wires. Wires running up and through the apple tree. Wires running through the alleys (corner house on two alleys), all kinds of chunky electrical "stuff" on top of the telephone poles, the whole nine yards. I tried bouncing around the yard but got the interference everywhere. Frustrated, I turned the sensitivity down nearly all the way to get rid of the noise, but by then I was lucky to pick up a quarter at an inch. I found a memorial about 4 inches down, and then the biggest find, which was a Chicago Surface Line (streetcar) token. I considered that REALLY lucky.

I think I'll play with the settings some more later on. Overall, nothing much to post in terms of finds. Again, be ready for a T-net cookout. It's gonna be bangin. Hope you all like Korean BBQ burgers. Man, are they gooooood...

I'll post some pics when I can. Take care all,

Joe

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro

Just downspouts ONLY????? Did they see you coming or what??? LOL And they'd probably buy the materials at HD. Hope you ran them off with a bullwhip. Ain't home owhership fun???

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II

Glad to hear things are coming along with the new homestead, Joe. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions