The unhuntable sidewalk tearup

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hit the spot Mayo and Paul were at yesterday. Got there about 7:30 this morning in a light rain. Knew it was gonna be wet, and they both pm'ed saying it was an EMI fest. Looking up at the west end of the eastern-most yard on the block, overhead, there was a crackling transformer that was fire-scarred and ominous, at best. These suckers can put out EMI across the spectrum from DC to light, like heavy, noisy electrical motors do. Fired up the CZ-20 though and it was fairly smooth running with light chatter intermittently so I went to it.

Lots of signals there, got a horse ring, bridle or hitch, two wicker lamp components and parts of a couple old locks along with a couple mems and one 44-D wheatie. Halfway down the block, after pulling many RIOs including that half-shoe I got a square tab signal, dug into the gravel top of the bedding and found a pulltab, a foot later the same signal, same result, a foot later the same signal and this time I decided to skip it, just kicked the gravel to make sure it was like the other two. Target orientation did not change, so it was in the dirt matrix under the gravel bed. Dug two inches and popped out a very nice looking 1887 IH!

Then a badly squashed Hot Wheels Thunder Beast, a pretty green marble and an alligator clip of the ancients all came to me in turn.

Near the end of the block, drenched but still hopeful for silver, got a large signal. Dug in and pulled out some china bits. Then a silver plated spoon that was broke in two pieces, then some iron strapping and saw an intact bottle. Pulled the old pickle jar out easily, some cracks in it but in the process noticed the edges of two more bottles. Again, a lot of hard digging revealed yet more bottles and more iron strapping, some bones (ham bone, round steak and T-bone) not to mention much additional china. 7 bottles, two glasses and a few plates, saucers and RIO's later it appears there's a privy or trash pit centered in the middle of the sidewalk there. The iron strpping, all connected was in fact what appears to be the framework from an old corset but was badly corroded.

So I left the bulk of those digs there and told an interested lady up the block about it. Hey Mayo, Paul, still too noisy for ya! he he he!

Attachments

• AddisonStNside 60810.jpg
    AddisonStNside 60810.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 268

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
'grats on the cool finds....ya, my machine was chattering all over the place.....cool finds!! I guess we can now nominate you Il T-net section md guru.... :P

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Never send an Imapler to do a 'batts job....

MD guru goes to all those guys who consistently recover the goods. I'm feast or famine.

But I'm getting hungry...

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Hungry enough to drive to the city of lights? They're tearing up the sidewalks in
the older part of town. PM me for the location, if anyone's interested...

Nice save on the IH Tim :thumbsup:

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Tim on the nice I.H. after some trash digging, you know what it takes to get'em sometimes.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Lowbatts said:
Never send an Imapler to do a 'batts job....

MD guru goes to all those guys who consistently recover the goods. I'm feast or famine.

But I'm getting hungry...

I thought in folklore legend, the impaler could become a bat ...

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool digs! EMI must stand for "Everthings mine indeed"
HH
John

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Sounds like you had a fun day with some interesting and nice finds!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There's some wierd transcient energy thing going on in those neighborhoods. Masking signals, phantom signals... You've got your cloaking device tuned so they can't see you slice right through it all! Next time I come out there, I'll be sporting a foil hat for sure!

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Great group of relics and WTG on the injun. Never know what will turn-up from a sidewalk tear-up. Look foward to see what else you guys find!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those sidewalks have been good to you with all those Indians lately. . . lots of history on those blocks.

Thanks again Tim for having us out there the other week, it was fun :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread