Lookin out my backdoor (my new tree house from the storm)

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Nothing like squirrels playing tambourines; Wednesday at 6:29 PM the mother-load of storms hit where I live. Sirens went off, I ran up from our basement grabbed the cat. When I got back to the basement, I turned around to look out the back window, and I had never seen so much wind in my life. It sounded like a train, then completely silent, the power went out. I turned to look back out our back door window, but saw a new view:

backdoor.jpg

This 60 foot tree fell. fortunately it fell parallel to our house and the trunk did not fall on the house. Fortunately also, a black locust tree took the brunt and stopped it from taking out our phone lines and power lines (little good that did since power just came back on here at 11 AM Friday).
backview.jpg
Tomorrow the tree people come to remove it. I am uncertain as to what damage there is besides to our deck and fence. I managed to save all my wife's heavy earthbox planters from under the tree and also all our deck furniture except 1 chair. I am hoping there is no major roof or gutter damage, but we will have to wait and see. Fortunately there is insurance.... maybe a new roof on the other hand would be worth the hassle, though our roof was new in '01. We probably had the largest tree fall (it was over 3 feet in diameter at base) but there are a ton of trees down everywhere here and some of our neighbors took direct hits and had water coming in. We checked our attic that night and is was all nice and dry and all the roof boards appeared fine.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Tornado or not, that tree is no friend when it's aiming at your house Jon!

Glad to hear all are well and you still have a roof over your head at night!

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to here only the tree got hurt Jon. Hope all the clean up goes well. I know what that train sound in the wind sounds like, been close to only one tornado.
DFW

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
Damn. That was a close one, Jon. Glad that everyone is OK. Including the cat!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had many trees in my yard years ago. I have only 4 left out of 30 or more. I feared every time it got windy.

Glad no one got hurt ,and you and your wife are safe....

I just got my roof and all my siding replaced from all the hail back in the first week of April. I still have to get the cars fixed

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Close call! :o

We lost power for 2 1/2 days from the storm a week ago. Ugh!

A couple years ago, we cut down a 65 foot Box Elder that shaded our whole yard but was infested with ants and dropping big branches. Then our neighbor cut down his huge Maple that shaded our deck all morning. Now we have no falling tree worries, but no shade either. :(

I'm glad your house didn't take a hit!

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
I live just South of Monee and we have a 30'-40' tree that fell in our backyard which was ripped out by the roots. I plan to wait till' next week when it's a bit cooler to dig out the chainsaw and take care of it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions