Quick hunt around the rain

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Damn it if I can't ever get to detect thirty minutes without the rain interrupting!! After sitting outside for nine hours tending to a yard sale yesterday, I really wasn't looking forward to sitting out another eight or nine today. Forecast looked like rain, so we canceled today's gig. I packed up my stuff and headed out, hoping it wasn't coming as fast as it looked like it was on the radar. I decided to try to grid out a small grassy area at a spot I had been to before with decent success. I pulled a '44 wheatie right away, then some clad, then the '06 IH. Then, some more clad, and then I hear the low rumble of thunder in the distance and note that the sky is getting darker by the minute. I made it to the car just in time, as the rain came pouring down amidst lightening and more thunder. Later, after it cleared, I went back to continue the hunt but now the ground was muddy and saturated with puddles. I left and figured my best bet was to hit a couple tot lots. Only got to hit one before I got a call from my sister who confirmed the yard sale was resuming. Booooo. I got lucky and scored a '62 Rosey from near the swings. I believe this is my first recently-dropped silver coin.

By the way, I spent the whopping $20 I made from selling some of my junk on an authentic Fire Alarm Box in fine working order. I had always wanted one of these but could never justify spending over two hundred dollars for one. I found one for under $20 at an adjacent yard sale! I don't have a picture of mine yet, but I'll post a pic of an exact copy of mine from the net, plus some info on these in case some of you don't know what they were. I love stuff like this!

Hope to post again soon,

Joe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_alarm_box

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 179
  • fire alarm box.jpg
    fire alarm box.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 162

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Way to go Joe!

Those old alarm boxes do rock! But you failed the audition for American Pickers. You should have offered several hundred more dollars!

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Where there's one IH, there has got to be more.. nice silver btw...

I remember those alarm boxes well. Just about everyone I knew growing up pulled one at one time or another. Not me though...too chicken or too smart. :dontknow:
Did you get a key with it?

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a cool Fire Box!! And for only $20 to boot. . . awesome!

Hunting those smaller patches are always rewarding when you
start finding IH's & silver :thumbsup: Nice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions