an LC and another interesting find and some wheats and clad

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t care, it still counts as an LC. It might not get me into the LC club but I can still loiter around the outside of the building. I also posted this in "Today's Finds"
I went out hunting with a buddy of mine this weekend. We hit a few spots that I’ve been curious about. The first was an old park. All I found there was some clad and a bunch of hungry mosquitoes so we decided to leave.
We then went to a forest preserve I’ve been to before and I found some wheats and a couple of clad quarters. My buddy found an 1924 merc and wheats also. We decided to call it quits because it was getting late but on the way home we decided to stop at an old field in the oldest part of town that I’ve found barbers, wheats and mercs plus some old costume jewelry. Well I’m glad we stopped there right before it started getting dark. Within the first 10 minutes I get a quarter signal (a little bouncy) about 8 inches deep and sure enough about 8 inches deep a coin pops up the size of a quarter but it felt a little thin and had a green patina. I looked a little closer and dabbed some water on it and saw “ONE CENT”. I thought, wow I found a LC but upon further investigation I realized it was a Canadian LC 1876. Well, I was a little disappointed but not much. It’s still a cool coin and looks great. It started to get dark so I figured it’s time to leave when I got another decent quarter signal (more bouncy) about 8 inches deep again. I got down to about 8 inches and I find the little round metal container about the size of a half dollar around and a ¼ inch tall. I thought CACHE but when I got home and soaked it in water and cleaned it up a bit, it turned out to be an old women’s rouge compact. It says “Fanchon Rouge” on the cover with a design on it. I opened it up (the metal was fragile) and no coins, but the mirror still intact with some hardened rouge still inside. I figure it’s early 1900’s. Thanks for reading.
HH
John

Attachments

• Canadian LC.jpg
    Canadian LC.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 193
  • Fanchon Rouge.jpg
    Fanchon Rouge.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Fanchon Rouge side.jpg
    Fanchon Rouge side.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 189
  • Fanchon Rouge open.jpg
    Fanchon Rouge open.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Clad & wheats.jpg
    Clad & wheats.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 202
  • Canadian LC.jpg
    Canadian LC.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 188
  • Fanchon Rouge.jpg
    Fanchon Rouge.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 193
  • Fanchon Rouge side.jpg
    Fanchon Rouge side.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 181
  • Fanchon Rouge open.jpg
    Fanchon Rouge open.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Clad & wheats.jpg
    Clad & wheats.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 190

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Oh John, it's my color!
Great LC too!

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Yep, that's a sweet looking cent! I prefer US coinage, but would love to dig that one any day.

Great hunting! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys. It's actually possible for this field to produce an american LC. This part of town goes back that far.
HH
John

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I try to worn others about Canadians but no one listens. Now you understand why I scoff at them so much. The nerve of those Canucks, copying our coinage, and then losing them south of their border. Can you believe that??

Haha, hey, great large cent, even though it is Canadian. I would love to find one of those. That, or one of those tiny little fishscales. Great day for you, glad you scored an old coin!

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread