Hunting the trashy areas on purpose

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you ever hunted really trashy areas on purpose?
Last week I thought I would try that, on the assumption that most other casual detectorists wouldn't stay and hunt in that spot because of the amount of trashy signals, and there might be some goodies mixed in with the junk.

So I checked out an old park and went right to a couple of trees that had a picnic bench within 10 feet of them. It was a goldmine of trash. I was getting machine gun rapid fire signals all in the range of screw caps, pull tabs, foil, can slaw etc. Every inch there were targets in all directions.

Instead of letting it annoy the hell out of me like it usually does, I decided to ignore the quantity of junk signals assaulting my ears and to just listen for the good tones. I had to move the coil fairly slow to get it to catch the good sounds in between all the junk and nulls. There were too many signals to rely on the display so I didn't bother looking at it until I could lock on to a good sound. Once I found what I thought was a repeatable good signal, I'd glance at the display. Pinpointing was a crap shoot in this area so I just did the best I could at keeping the good tone at the center of the coil from two directions.

This exercise helped me train my ears and my brain to just pay attention to the better signals.
I still wound up digging some pull tabs and pop tops when I was trying for nickels, and a few assorted screw caps but I managed to get 10 clad dimes, 2 clad quarters, 1 Jefferson nickel, and one 1913 wheat at 7 inches down near the base of one of the trees. Dirty clad not pictured because we've all seen it before.

The wheat was encapsulated in dirt, and my usual dish soap routine wasn't cutting it.
I have some new concentrated citrus oil cleaner that I tried on it and after sitting for about 4 days in it, I was able to clean off most of the crud with a toothpick.

Attachments

• 1913.jpg
    1913.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 1913B.jpg
    1913B.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 151

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
WTG, Mayo!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

In those areas, small coil - lots of discrimination. There's probably more in there, and those two things will help you find 'em!

Next time I'm out there with you, let me know if you want to try our my baby coil....

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Kimsdad said:
WTG, Mayo!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

In those areas, small coil - lots of discrimination. There's probably more in there, and those two things will help you find 'em!

Next time I'm out there with you, let me know if you want to try our my baby coil....

Might have been a slip, might have been, eh?

You guys been probing new ground?

Supposed to be nice out today, let's get some goodies!

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Way to hit those trashy areas Mayo! That is where the Etrac can really shine. I always like those types of locations because there is a good chance that there are still some goodies to find!

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much every area I hunt is trashy. Slow and methodical is the way to go. Believe it or not, I hunt those areas with zero disc and 4 tones. I like to hear everything and once you find the nails you know you're in the right area. Good luck!!!
HH
John

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you hunt those trashy areas and find the goodies, you KNOW you've been on a hunt :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread