A great day for a group outing.....

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
AND THEN SOME!!! Hit the spot that Lowbatts had told me about yesterday. Found nothing but clad and a '26 wheatie. Returned early this morning (oh-dark-thirty ish) determined to find something good. In attendance (eventually) were Lowbatts, Kimsdad, D-Dub, Mr. Senior, Watercolor, myself, and a few others. After finding nothing notable yesterday, I really wanted something good. Day started slowly again...rough dirt meant iffy, bouncy, hard to pinpoint signals all over the place. I decided to dig it all. After digging what seemed like hundreds of pull tabs and nails, I finally got a solid nickel signal. After some difficulty locating a disappearing signal, I decided to try using my ProPointer (a lot of the finds @ this location have been on or very near the surface). I wasn't disappointed when a few moments later I spy a coin just under some loose dirt. Grab it, and can't believe my eyes when I see the shield!! It's a shield nickel, either 1866 or 1868, I can't tell. It's very worn, but is still the oldest coin I've found to date, so I'm not complaining. Finds for the day included a pet tag, button or curtain weight, fork or spoon handle, plated religious medallion, small caliber bullet, the shield nickel, another '26 wheatie, and $1.42 in clad (3 quarters, 4 dimes, 2 clad Jefferson nickels, and 17 pennies (7 copper and 10 crumbly, crusty zincers). Thoughts and observations on today's hunt: Glad I persisted and didn't quit. It took me a bit longer than the others to find something good, but eventually I did. It was REALLY hot out there, and the back of my neck is TOTALLY burned (even w/ spf 60 sunscreen). This is the first site I've been to where I dug many more zincers than copper cents (BOOOOOO!!!!). I can't wait until the others post their finds. Pics below. Enjoy (I certainly did....sunburned neck and all...)!! ;D

Attachments

• Picture 139.jpg
    Picture 139.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Picture 140.jpg
    Picture 140.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Picture 141.jpg
    Picture 141.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 117

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!! Still on my wish list and probably will be for a long time since I don't dig alot of nickel signals. Congratulations!!!
HH
John

justdigging50

Sep 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC and Minelab Explorer II
Congrats on finding your oldest. If you get a better picture with detail post for us.
Great job Paul :icon_thumright:

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Paul, all that diggin is alot of work but can pay-off with determination WTG.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul, I was sooo happy when you pulled out that Shield. . . you should
have seen the look on your face. . . (it was priceless :thumbsup:)

Nice score!!

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Ole Nickle Impaler...Congratulations man

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread