Record setting day!!

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Hi everyone!! My internet has been down for about the last week or so, that's why I haven't been around. I got out and about for a full day of hunting this past Monday, the 19th. I decided to try some beach hunting in the hopes of snagging some jewelry (I found some all right, though not on the beach; more on that later). The day started out VERY slowly, with me hitting the sand promptly @ 6am for a good two hours, and finding little more than about $1 in clad and no jewelry whatsoever. Finally, after about 2 hrs, my batteries died. I headed back to my car to take a little break (even though it was barely 9am, it was already VERY hot out), and put in some fresh batteries. Not ready to call it quits just yet, I decided to hit a tot lot right where I parked my car. This particular lot looks fairly new/remodeled, so my hopes weren't too high. Hit the woodchips, and found about $1 in clad, and a beautiful, huge clear stud earring. Here's to hoping it's real, not fake ;D. Pounded the grassy areas surrounding the lot after that, and about 20 mins in, get a solid dime signal on the Ace @ approx. 2 inches. "Oh goodie", I think to myself, "another copper mem cent or maybe a clad dime". Imagine my surprise, when after digging the plug, a nice mens 18k ring w/ one of nine stones still attached appears!! :o I tried to find the other 8 stones in vain for almost half an hour before continuing. There was clad EVERYWHERE!! I couldn't go more than 2 or 3 feet without hitting pocket spills (many of which totaled over $1 apiece). It was pretty easy to tell this place had never been detected before!! ;D All targets were shallow (1-3" deep), which was good 'cause the ground was rock hard. The day finally ended @ about 8 pm, 14 hrs after it had started with an exhausted me, dead batteries in my probe (that made digging the last few targets pure hell), and a RECORD SETTING day for me!! Totals included the 18k ring w/ the diamond, the clear stud earring, a button that MIGHT be old, a cta token (remember those? I sure do!!), a souvenir token from the Chicago childrens museum, and a whopping $15.52 in clad (not including the $1 or so I found on the beach). Clad totals: 33 quarters, 60 dimes, 9 clad Jefferson nickels, and a whopping 82 memorial cents (68 copper and 14 zinc). All in all, an exhausting but great day for me to set a new one day clad record!! I still need to get the ring appraised and find out if the stud earring is real or fake. Pics below. ENJOY!! ;D :tongue3:

Attachments

• Picture 142.jpg
    Picture 142.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Picture 143.jpg
    Picture 143.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Picture 144.jpg
    Picture 144.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Picture 145.jpg
    Picture 145.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 183
  • Picture 146.jpg
    Picture 146.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Picture 147.jpg
    Picture 147.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Picture 148.jpg
    Picture 148.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 179
  • Picture 149.jpg
    Picture 149.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Picture 152.jpg
    Picture 152.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Picture 154.jpg
    Picture 154.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 177

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Great going Paul! We got the rain we've been wanting to soften up that ground too! I'm betting you can break that record with softer ground.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
If you had gotten a few wheat and one or two silver dimes with that, I would have sworn you were Mr. Senior....
Good Job Clad!

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt clad. Can't wait to see pics of that gold all cleaned up and shiny. :thumbsup:

Big congrats to you!

OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
EDIT: I forgot 2 other coins I found on the 19th. They are a '44 wheatie, and a 1980 Canadian cent. L4S- I've only cleaned the ring w/ soap and water so far. I don't have a jewelry cleaner, and, even though I think it's only good for scrap gold, I don't want to scratch or damage it. A lot of the dirt is hard and crusted. Any cleaning suggestions? Or should I just leave it as is?

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Clad,
Find someone with a sonicator, that is the best. Jewelry cleaner works good, but is usually acidic. It will take a little metal off. I know, I found a gold filled ring last year and after a couple days in the cleaner, the underlying base metal was beginning to show, so it did even eat at the gold. I have a sonicator, a cheap one from brookstone. It rocks for cleaning silver coins, nickels (cruddy oldies are otherwise a huge pain), and jewelry. It is terrible for pennies though. For some reason it will take the surface of a penny off -- I ruined an Indian Head with one. But not a bad investment for $40. Especially with all the V nickels I've found this year. It gets those clean and leaves them red.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Paul, you had a L O N G day for sure. . . you got some cool stuff though :thumbsup:

I can't tell if that one ring is gold-plated or not. . . if it is, you could pick up some "Naval Jelly"
at ACE Hardware. . . it's worked well for me when cleaning gold jewelry. . . keep an eye on it though.

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of finds!! Good luck
HH
John

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on a great day.

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great assortment of goodies!
I love it when my monotony of mems is broken up by the occasional bit of jewelry or buttons or tokens.
That's what makes it possible to keep hunting - the thought that there MUST be more of the good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread