1899 Danish 50 year Constitution anniversary medallion

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Hi all,
Was hoping to post this find from the hot Friday July 23 along with finds from today, but currently Macton and I are on an indefinite rain delay, hope things clear up soon down here, but radar does not look too promising at the moment.

Yesterday, I went out from 4 until the rain hit at about 6 today at my oldie spot. Only signal was this really interesting Medallion. I hope that Mr. Senior knows a little about Denmark, because I'd like to know more. I have found out writing is in Danish and have been able to partially translate:

Top: 50 AARIGE MINDEFEST (RIGE (Exuberant) MINDE (Reminder) FEST (Banquet) -- I don't know what "AA is, perhaps abbreviation for year in danish?)

Bottom: GRUNDLOVEN 1849 (This was the Danish Constitution and Date Ratified)
I don't know who the silhouette is of, some important Dane:

So I think this is from the 50th Anniversary of the Denmark Constitution, so some 1899 celebration. It originally was gold plated, there is some gold left, especially on the back.

GrundlovenA1.jpg GrundlovenB.jpg
Included back shot to show Gold
GrundlovenA2.jpg
This was my best picture, but for some strange reason the 50 looks like 55 in this photo, clearly by eye and photo 1 it is '50'.

Hope this rain clears up and all of you are alright and no water problems (also hope silver wasn't washed away...)

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
I think that is Frederik VII on the medallion, after looking up more about the Danish constitution, he was the monarch present who signed it.

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Not too long, maybe 25 minutes. The tricky part was initially finding out Grundloven 1849 was the Danish constitution. Once I knew that I knew what language and what to look up. Then I just used an online translator to translate what I could. Then I read up on the Danish Wikipedia site (translated to English of course) the article about their constitution.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool tag Jon :thumbsup:

Finding stuff like that and researching it's origin is always rewarding :wink:

M

MR Senior L4S

Congr. on interesting memo---------- You have all description right --- that what is .

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Did you have a coffee with that danish?

muhahahaha

Nice dig!

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009