Another first today!!

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
So, as many of you know, I am REALLY digging my new hunting grounds not too far from home... ;D. Headed there to a tot lot after work this morning for some quick and easy clad. Afterwards, hit the large park surrounding the tot lot. Skeeters and other creepy crawlies were out in force, but I held my own, and ended up with MY FIRST SILVER WASHINGTON QUARTER!!! It's a '62D, and was only about 1 1/2 inches down. Found a lot of relics. I will need help identifying and dating many of them. Any help is greatly appreciated. Todays finds included a superball (now I KNOW you remember those, right? :tongue3:), a small toy car, a dog tag from Valparaiso, Indiana (Fido was far from home, wasn't he?), a set of measuring spoons that were encased in melted plastic, but I managed to free 'em, a smashed penny souvenir token from the field museum (dang tourists and their trash...), a small star that has the word "Dream" on it (and some mower dings, too); NOW FOR THE INTERESTING STUFF: An OLD earring, looks to be clip on, has a screw type adjustment to tighten it (still works). Need an approximate date for this one. Something that might (?) be a drawer pull; again, need age. Possible ladies compact (mirror missing). Square, approx. 3 inches each side, had some leftover felt on the inside, though I removed it while cleaning. Folds open, has the words "Elgin America, made in U.S.A. on the small inside cover, but nothing else. Need mfr. info and year. Found approx. 6 1/2-7 inches deep, about 6 inches apart under tree roots: 2 large iron rings w/ stems. Possible tie off for horse reins?? Need to confirm this and get an approximate age. Badly rusted/corroded. And, of course, the '62D Washington quarter (silver #8 for me for the year I believe), a 2003 Canadian cent, and, as always, todays clad totals: 20 quarters, 24 dimes, 6 clad Jefferson nickels, and 88 cents (30 copper and 58 zinc) for a clad total of $8.58. Thoughts and observations on todays hunt: That makes 3 consecutive hunts now where I've found a Canadian cent...hmmm....might be starting a trend here....glad to be able to cross the Washington off my list, but I really wanted a buffalo nickel today (or possibly a silver war nickel; longshots both of 'em I know...BUT...)...skeeters and spiders were really bad today (NOTE TO SELF: next time put on your repellent BEFORE leaving the car!!!). Also found a huge pocket spill that consisted almost entirely of zincolns....like 99.9% zinc cents (I stopped counting once I found like 35 or so...); Has anyone else ever run across anything like this? If anyone needs close ups of the items I'd like to have id'ed or have dates for, just let me know. Thanks. Pics below, enjoy!! Another silver drought bites the dust!! YAY!! :D

Attachments

• Picture 155.jpg
    Picture 155.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Picture 156.jpg
    Picture 156.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Picture 157.jpg
    Picture 157.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Picture 158.jpg
    Picture 158.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Picture 159.jpg
    Picture 159.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Picture 160.jpg
    Picture 160.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Picture 161.jpg
    Picture 161.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Picture 162.jpg
    Picture 162.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Picture 163.jpg
    Picture 163.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Picture 164.jpg
    Picture 164.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 116
  • Picture 165.jpg
    Picture 165.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Picture 166.jpg
    Picture 166.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 115

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Nice one on the Washington quarter... silver quarters are always a fun find. Keep digging those nickel signals ... you will find a buff and a war nickel, just don't go places where Joe or I have been... a lot of people don't dig nickels signals, but I do. This year I have 1 shield, 12 V, 11 buffalo, and 7 war nickels, a lot of the places I hunt, they seem to be the only thing that come up, no doubt because these places have been hunted heavily by people who don't dig nickel signals...

BTW if those 35+ zincolns were all in one place, they may have been left there by a certain group of detectors who come from another city and when they take our silver they think they are being funny leaving deep zincolns (were they deep?).

OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
p2c said:
Nice one on the Washington quarter... silver quarters are always a fun find. Keep digging those nickel signals ... you will find a buff and a war nickel, just don't go places where Joe or I have been... a lot of people don't dig nickels signals, but I do. This year I have 1 shield, 12 V, 11 buffalo, and 7 war nickels, a lot of the places I hunt, they seem to be the only thing that come up, no doubt because these places have been hunted heavily by people who don't dig nickel signals...

BTW if those 35+ zincolns were all in one place, they may have been left there by a certain group of detectors who come from another city and when they take our silver they think they are being funny leaving deep zincolns (were they deep?).

Jon- No, the zincolns were all 1-2", and scattered over a 3-4 square foot area. I was originally digging nickel signals after I got out of the tot lot, but got tired of too many pull tabs and foil targets.....BTW, I'll update the silver count. Todays Washington brings me to 8 on the year, not 9.

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Paul you found an area with older goodies. No doubt you will pull a buff or war nickel soon if your
coil goes over one. #9 silver should be soon, you'll be pounding that area for a while.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver George Paul!

That site has a lot to offer. . . those two "ring" things look like horse rein guides.
If they're not too corroded, you might be able to see some wear patterns along
the inside edges from the reins.

Cool stuff :thumbsup:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
You are becoming a force with the Ace Paul! How deep is that cpompact? Might be a cigarette case?

Great stuff there!

Knowing about where you were, my first thought on the rings were something to do with a long skinny boat and oars but I'd agree with Mark.

Congrats on the George even if he's a bit jaded from the time spent waiting on ya!

OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Lowbatts said:
You are becoming a force with the Ace Paul! How deep is that cpompact? Might be a cigarette case?

Great stuff there!

Knowing about where you were, my first thought on the rings were something to do with a long skinny boat and oars but I'd agree with Mark.

Congrats on the George even if he's a bit jaded from the time spent waiting on ya!

'Batts- I don't think it's a cigarette case, as it's only about 1/4" deep. The fact that it folds open, and had the felt traces in it makes me think ladies' compact for face powder, rouge, etc. As for the rings, I KNOW they're old, being as rusty as they are, and being as deep as I found them. Gotta be rein guides or rein tie offs. After finding all the relics, I was a bit disappointed at not being able to find any Barber coins. Ya gotta figure at least some (if not all) of this stuff dates from that time period. I think they are out there, just deeeeppppp.... :P With time and patience, I'll find 'em.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Clad the Impaler said:
After finding all the relics, I was a bit disappointed at not being able to find any Barber coins. Ya gotta figure at least some (if not all) of this stuff dates from that time period. I think they are out there, just deeeeppppp.... :P
Give us the location - we'll go out there and check it for you! ;D

Nice old finds, Paul!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Special congrats on the George!

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting