My second close call this year

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I overslept today and by the time I got where I was going, it was just me and my detector.

Some of you will remember my first close call this year. That was when I found the 1916 dime and it had a mint mark on it - just not the money mint mark... and I had nicked the back of that coin so I guess it was better that it wasn't the key date it could have been.

Today I had my second close call.
I was working a park I had been to many times before only this time I purposely tried detecting areas I thought would be less likely for detecting. (Less detecting, more coins) One spot only yielded a few clad coins, lots of beaver tail and pull tabs, so I moved on to another less likely spot. This area had a rise to it like the park groundskeepers may have built up dirt there at one time. I worked the rise and successfully liberated two Old Milwaukee beer cans from 9 and 10 inches. Got a couple wheat pennies then moved on to another spot.

I got the usual penny signal and was thinking, do I really want to dig another mem cent but being the glutton for punishment, I dig it up anyways and brushing off the dirt, I see a nicely readable 1909! Wait a second - there's supposed to be an S underneath the 1909. Alas, no S. So I tossed it into the pouch. I worked around the park to another spot that is park property but doesn't look like it because it's across the street. Worked it for a while but didn't find anything and then I decided to detect closer to the street. Ten feet away from the street sign, I get a crummy penny signal and I think - here we go again. To my surprise out pops an Indian head in fairly good shape - at less than 4 inches deep. I have no idea how we missed it last year because I know we hit the same dirt before.

So when I get home, I clean up the coins a little and I take a closer look at the 1909.
Sure enough there in tiny letters on the back - VDB. So close and yet so far...
This is the first VDB I've ever seen in person and although it would have been WAY cooler if it was the elusive S, I'll take it.

Also got a toy fireman's hat with an eagle head on front - it looks familiar but I don't remember what specific toy it was from. There's a hole in the back part - maybe it was hanging on a fire truck?

Not pictured were the 1944 wheat and the 1911 wheat and the heapin handful of clad.

Attachments

• 1889.jpg
    1889.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 1889Back.jpg
    1889Back.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 1909VDB.jpg
    1909VDB.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 123
  • 1909VDB-Back.jpg
    1909VDB-Back.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 126
  • ToyFiremanHat.jpg
    ToyFiremanHat.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 123

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Way cool.

I cut and ran too early yesterday, you must have just missed me but I had a short clock to work on.

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great oldies Mayo, key dates may be in a nest near you. I'll always dig those penny signals, found
alot of goodies that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions