Wanted, dead or alive: Mercury or Barber dimes

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I had some time the other day so I went out swinging for a couple hours. I was determined to find some older silver. What are the odds that I would continue my silver Rosey streak? The day looked promising. I started off with a few wheaties, all from the 30's. Nice...next: Mercs.

Popped out some clad, a few OLD relics, and the most ginormous sterling ring I've ever dug. It freely falls off my thumb and weighs a ton. I was excited, but longed to see Liberty again, just once.

Who am I kidding. Three Rosies, all from the 50's ('54, '59, '51). A very good silver day in my book, but still...only three mercs and no Barbers at all this year. I ended the day with 3 Rosies, 13 wheaties, and a corroded 1895 IH.

Who's taking all the early stuff? lol. I threw in the Rosey ('46-D) from last weekend in the scan since I never created a post for it alone. See you guys in the trenches...

Joe

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 226

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vividly remember that Rosie streak you had last year.
I ALSO seem to recall that Rosie streak was broken with that 1905-S Barber (AU condition ::))
AND, that Seated Dime (again, in AU condition :notworthy:) so. . . you're about due :wink:

BTW, nice silver :thumbsup: (baby steps first :))

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
watercolor said:
I vividly remember that Rosie streak you had last year.
I ALSO seem to recall that Rosie streak was broken with that 1905-S Barber (AU condition ::))
AND, that Seated Dime (again, in AU condition :notworthy:) so. . . you're about due :wink:

BTW, nice silver :thumbsup: (baby steps first :))

Great memory, Mark!! Yeah, that's what I'm looking for...I love finding Rosies, but the excitement of finding a Barber is awesome. I figure, keep looking in the spots that I know produce them, and eventually they are bound to pop out of the ground.

Joe

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Joe was that ginormous sterling ring big enough to slip a Rosie threw? Old silver must be close
by and you'll haul it in on your next couple of hours of hunting.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seem to remember a couple years ago that you were dying to find one...cause you were only finding mercs and barbers....hummmm now the tables are turned......

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Well we've had a good run of seated dimes from the current streetwork out here. SLQ's and even a gorgeous bbq for Mark's part have made their way up. I'll get you a street report later today if you're interested on how's and where.

In fact, I'm missing rosies myself although that was the last silver I popped out a couple weeks ago.

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Dirt fishing Wolf said:
Hey Joe was that ginormous sterling ring big enough to slip a Rosie threw? Old silver must be close
by and you'll haul it in on your next couple of hours of hunting.

Since I don't have a camera yet, I scanned the ring with a Rosey in between. If you show up to BWW I'll bring the ring and show you just how big it is in person.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 171

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not too shabby bud :laughing9:, yea I think your about due for some oldie silvers!!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

battlecat

Dec 23, 2004
moosic pa
Your doing great! I have yet to find any silver coin, now ive found gold jewelry and silver jewelry but never a silver coin..go figure. Maybe that will change with the new Ace 250 instead of the old duct taped Bounty hunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread