2 ring day doubles my ring collection. I think I struck diamonds as well.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really awesome finds!
It pays to dig tons of pull tabs and foil when you get something like those two rings instead!
Did you go to a jeweler in downtown Chicago or Downtown Elgin?
I have a couple rings I need to get evaluated for reality too.

OP
OP
Gimmie The Loot

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mayo South Elgin said:
Really awesome finds!
It pays to dig tons of pull tabs and foil when you get something like those two rings instead!
Did you go to a jeweler in downtown Chicago or Downtown Elgin?
I have a couple rings I need to get evaluated for reality too.

Hey Mayo - I took it to sydel & sydel on Adams and Wells I think. They seem pretty cool. If you need a good jeweler in South Elgin, we have a family friend who has been a jeweler for like 80 years... I can find out who he is and stuff if you want.

OP
OP
Gimmie The Loot

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys - thanks for all the support and kudos with these gold rings... really makes me glad to be in this hobby. Not only is it great to find the stuff, but its equally great to have so many of you to share the excitment with.

I should have a value soon from the jeweler and will be sure to let you guys know.

HH - GTL

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft: Can't wait, I'm on pins and needles!!!!! Red :icon_thumright: :hello2: :notworthy:

OP
OP
Gimmie The Loot

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am trying not to feel insulted here but the jeweler just called and offered me $300 for all 4 rings. I have never sold used jewelery for scrap before so I really don't know if that is all I should expect, but I will be taking it to a couple more places and maybe even a pawn shop. I know the silver ring isn't worth much but... man I was thinking $1000 for all those diamonds.

Oh well... I'll keep yall posted!

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Gimme, Take it to another jeweler and ask them what they think they are worth. Tell them you found them metal detecting and you are going to keep them as they are the first gold you have found. Tell them you arent interested in selling. They will give you a fair price then. I did that when I found an 1800 era ring in Hammond Indiana. Took it to a jeweler and they told me their appraisal amount for free. Congrats on the nice finds btw. TMAN...

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
If you get out here on SDaturday, take it to Shockey's down on Douglas. They are a jewelery store with no interest in taking something for nothing. The place you took it to probably wants to see if you'll go for the crack money and leave the rest for them.

Never do business in Chicago unless it's with a real ho, not one posing as something else. Unless of course you know that something like 18 real diamonds in those sizes are worth even less than the scrap value of the gold.

filthyflyer39

Oct 18, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari
i agree about going to a jewelry store, they can tell you similiar things they sell and prices for it. very helpful when my dad found a gold ring

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK lets get some details...

You said you were "waiting" for them to give you the appraisal.
Did you leave the rings with them? Please don't say you left the rings there...

I've always heard horror stories of unscrupulous jewelers that would switch out fake stones for the good ones, then tell the customer their ring wasn't worth very much at all. Does this really happen? I don't know but I did have a jeweler swap out parts (basically the entire movement) in an antique pocket watch that I brought in for repairs years ago - and it became almost worthless because of it.

From the looks of those rings, if the diamonds were real, just one of the medium sized stones would be worth over $300. Then add in the other stones and the gold.
Do not sell those rings for $300 - definitely have them checked out somewhere else.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Kimsdad said:
I'm glad someone is pulling all those pesky rings out of the way so Tim can find more vendoteria fodder! ;D

WTG on those two stellar finds!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king: :icon_king:

Now that's just plain mean!

OP
OP
Gimmie The Loot

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a second quote yesterday of $300. He told me the diamonds are a marquee cut which are not very popular right now. Although he said full retail on something like this is $2500-$3000, the scrap market is a whole different ballgame. Anyways - I may try one or two more shops and end up taking the highest price... even at $300, it pays for my detector and propointer :)

Here are a couple new pictures I took with my real camara (the pics before are from my cell phone.)

HH!

Attachments

• rings1.JPG
    rings1.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 157
  • ring2.JPG
    ring2.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 154
  • rings3.JPG
    rings3.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 166

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
If the appraisal is $2500-$3000 and the best offer you get is under $500, I'd suggest trying to sell it or have someone try selling it for you on Ebay, with a $900 to $1000 reserve. I think if there is no pitting or damage, $1000 asking price is reasonable and is heavily discounted off retail anyway, but I may not know what I am talking about.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Then the appraisal value is upwards of 3K, SUPER CONGRATS!

Ask the jeweler how many pieces of his stock of a similar make and with the same ct. weight of diamonds he will give you for 300 bucks apiece!

In fact walk over to his counter and ask him to trade straight up for a marquee solitaire in the 2k range. If agrees, back out and keep the ring.

OP
OP
Gimmie The Loot

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I have already called the businesses nearby and looked in the local newpaper for lost ads... no leads yet though. Do I still get karma points for trying?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Gimmie The Loot said:
Yeah I have already called the businesses nearby and looked in the local newpaper for lost ads... no leads yet though. Do I still get karma points for trying?

One problem is you have too much info posted on the ring here. It allows a lot of people to lay claim to it. The one who lost it is a member of a small group of users of the particular area where you found it, most likely not in transit, and more than likely someone still very nearby.

I'll work on it with you this weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread