Parkway season ends

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Saturday morning came and the landscapers were there with loads of sod. So I headed off to new old digs and called in the troops. We had a GREAT weekend of digs, as Mayo's post on his Barber and SLQ demonstrate. I got a nice old silver bracelet and ring along with a few wheaties out of that site.

But over the last few days I had some good times as the parkway tear ups were closing. Got lots of wheaties, a mountain of mems and a mound of clad in that neighborhood. Some nice IH's as well but the silver was a bare trickle, with only a couple rosies and a merc until this week.

One block produced a circa 1931 luck token with a fortune teller looking into a crystal ball with a swastika on it. It reads "GOOD LUCK WILL ACCOMPANY THE BEARER" at the bottom. At the other end of the block came a nice pocket spill and some other silver. An undated SLQ with four wheats stacked on top of it was a few inches from a '64 Georgie, 10 feet away was a ten year older '54 rosie.

Across the street from that I got a gold earring with three stones on it, it was broken and crushed flat. On another nearby block I got an 1838 LC looking very good along with a very old gold ring that was flattened and what looked like a small, enameled cloisonne pin or button face.

Around the corner from there I found this huge honking boutique bling cage heart pendant. It was fun hunting the neighborhood, lots of folks stopped by and asked if I was hiring, needed any help, had any gold.... Last weekend someone tossed a dollar bill on the corner I was working in the rain. I love sympathy tosses!

A guy who hunts here in town when he's not hutning in Mexico came by and over two days got a huge silver chain and the grand slam, silver rosie, merc, barber and a sweet 1850 seated.

Didn't picture any of my smashed jewelry or the IH's, wheaties or clad. They're piled about 4" high and 2' around out on my garage in the bench. No telling how many other goodies are mixed in with that pile, blame my eyes.

What's with the '19 wheaties? Pulled about 20 over the last two weeks. Couldn't someone have dropped them with some silver?

Attachments

• Streetworkdigs.jpg
    Streetworkdigs.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 218

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs Tim from the Parkways. Looks like those few bocks were very kind to you.
Was The LC the oldest coin found this year in the parkway?

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Yep it's the oldest coin I've dug from a parkway. Technically, that is. I found the 1807 in the parkway a few years back but told my buddy to dig it out, which he did. Arghhhh!

Mayo's 1864 2 cent piece from the first street work site of the year, the oldest at that site trumped my three seated dimes from there as well my late '60's IH's.

I think both Skates and Watercolor got Barbers from the second street work site, where I scored two 1909 VDB's in one day. Not sure on the years of those two dimes though.

The other guy hunting this area had nabbed the 1850 seated dime just a day before I got the LC, which trumped my earlier 1862 fatty. Nick T. got an early shield nickel from this site prior to that.

If you remember from your earlier trips out here this year, this was the neighborhood to the W-NW of the area where you were hunting and got that fine seated dime.

It's too bad so much other sidewalk and parkway work went undetected. Coins in the woods will be there until you get to them as Neil discovered with those reales. Every time this kind of work is done however there's a lot of coins dug out or scraped off and removed for good and some of them could make anyone's day.

filthyflyer39

Oct 18, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari
those are some great finds, goes to show how much was lost for good when people began paving over the ground with stuff like parking lots. it's really too bad. But sounds like you had a great time!

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet digs bro! Here's to the next tear-ups :occasion14:

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
too bad its over... I had fun hitting the tear ups with ya... its going to be a while before I can beat that 1873 IH i got there!

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Olderactor said:
All good things come to an end. Nice finds

Hey, good to get you out here Jim! Sorry you pulled the bum stretch on your trip out. Next time out I'll get you to some goodies for sure.

filthyflyer39 said:
those are some great finds, goes to show how much was lost for good when people began paving over the ground with stuff like parking lots. it's really too bad. But sounds like you had a great time!

Sometimes it's really good, sometimes it's pretty bad but I call it a win when you can total up to some of these goodies we've seen pulled this year.

Lookn4seated said:
Sweet digs bro! Here's to the next tear-ups :occasion14:

I spoke too soon. FOUND SOME MORE!

Gimmie The Loot said:
too bad its over... I had fun hitting the tear ups with ya... its going to be a while before I can beat that 1873 IH i got there!

One of the cooler things this year was all the first-timers who hit those spots, along with some of the seasoned guys who got firsts. Got to hear, "Wow, that's my oldest..." or "Wow, that's my first..." more than a few times. That really makes the day.

Mayo South Elgin said:
Say it ain't so!
We can look under the sod can't we? :laughing7:
It won't take root until mid spring next year!

Sod harassment is a no-no Mayo. But we gots some new digs. We gots some new digs....

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you showed me that LC, I was amazed at it's condition. . . excellent local finds :thumbsup:

BTW, thanks for all the invites to the tear-ups this year, it's been a bunch of fun. . . even with all them Mem's :D

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
watercolor said:
When you showed me that LC, I was amazed at it's condition. . . excellent local finds :thumbsup:

BTW, thanks for all the invites to the tear-ups this year, it's been a bunch of fun. . . even with all them Mem's :D

Yep. Mem's the word too much of the time. But once in awhile, without the psychotic rambling distractions that come from some neighborhood hunts, moments of clarity shine through, along with good digs!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Another year of great finds for you, Tim!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'm happy to see you get them and sorry to see it end! :(

It was a thrill to hold that beautiful LC in my hand - and even better to have Mayo come over and say "Neil's is older."!!!!! :laughing7:

I agree with Mark - a big thanks to you from me for all of the invitations to hunt it with you! A guy could keep his mouth shut and hunt it himself, but you chose to share it with us. You are a true gent of the detecting world! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king:

There's a big karma payback coming for you. I just hope I'm there to watch when you cash it in!

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Kimsdad said:
Another year of great finds for you, Tim!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'm happy to see you get them and sorry to see it end! :(

It was a thrill to hold that beautiful LC in my hand - and even better to have Mayo come over and say "Neil's is older."!!!!! :laughing7:

I agree with Mark - a big thanks to you from me for all of the invitations to hunt it with you! A guy could keep his mouth shut and hunt it himself, but you chose to share it with us. You are a true gent of the detecting world! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king:

There's a big karma payback coming for you. I just hope I'm there to watch when you cash it in!

Yeah, then Mayo adds that yours looks better! I hope he's ready for another cold weather mud bath!

The good thing about this hobby is that it's not insult to injury math to say that. It's complimentary math because we both got great looking oldies.

That's not to say we are great looking oldies, but my mirror really likes me and would miss me if I weren't around. So I keep eating.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Congrats on the LC! sorry the season is over. I have been so busy the last 6 weeks or so, I have not been on T-net; I am just trying to look on recent postings, glad I saw this one! That is in great shape.

-Jon

Nick T

Aug 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
I use a Teknetics Omega 8000 w/11DD and 10con , a Fisher CZ-70 pro , teknetics pinpointer.
Thanks LB!

My best find of the year was the V-nickle. Learned a lot on our hunts.

Shame I got busy at the end of the season. Maybe next year!

Nick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread