First Barber and Oldest Coin, with a couple more!

filthyflyer39

Oct 18, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari
The last 2 weekends we have been worried that it would be the last hunts of the season so we got out as often as we could while the weather was decent. 2 weekends ago, we went to the local park that has yielded quite a few oldies as of late. This park has not been good for my machine so me and my dad are sharing his safari to give us both a chance at getting some finds. We first went on Saturday, and I got another V nickel, 1901.

Sunday morning we went back, and it was rough with signals few and far between and not much results when we dug. After a while though i got an iffy signal and dug about 7 inches to find my first Barber ever! 1902 plain :icon_thumright:

Afternoon came, and of course we went back. I was finding pretty close to nothing the whole time, except for a wheat, and we started to make our way out. I was swinging back to the car and I got a deep signal, bouncing between 32 and 37 on the safari, and decided ah what the heck right? Turns out to be my oldes coin, 1879 Injun. First Barber and oldest coin in the same day, pretty much made my week ;D

This Sunday we braved the cold wind and got out for a couple hours. I found a 1910 V nickel, which gives me a total of 4 all within the last 2 months. My dad bested me on the finds in this 2 week period I believe, so be on the lookout for his finds soon. :wink:

Thanks for looking,
FilthyFlyer

p.s. sorry for the lengthy reading, I'm just too excited :-*

Attachments

• 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 193
  • 0381.jpg
    0381.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 0391.jpg
    0391.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 181

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats on your FIRST Barber and your oldest. I love seeing peoples firsts, because half the time, it's those weird signals. Don't worry how bad the signal is....If you see it's deep DIG IT!. You will be rewarded. Love to see you're finding the oldies. Congrats Bud! :thumbsup:

....and seeing that you're digging up those nickels....you know what that means....GOLD is in your near future.

OP
OP
filthyflyer39

filthyflyer39

Oct 18, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Lookn4seated said:
Big congrats on your FIRST Barber and your oldest. I love seeing peoples firsts, because half the time, it's those weird signals. Don't worry how bad the signal is....If you see it's deep DIG IT!. You will be rewarded. Love to see you're finding the oldies. Congrats Bud! :thumbsup:

....and seeing that you're digging up those nickels....you know what that means....GOLD is in your near future.

Thanks, I honestly was thinking that i might not see a barber this year, and to see that sucker on the towel was awesome.
As for the gold, I'll have to keep on hoping :icon_thumright:

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
filthyflyer39 said:
Lookn4seated said:

Thanks, I honestly was thinking that i might not see a barber this year, and to see that sucker on the towel was awesome.

You don't have to hope, just keep digging those Nickel signals.....trust me :wink:

You're doing very well, and don't be surprised by seeing Barbers, I really think you're starting to understand what that machine is telling you. Good job!

OP
OP
filthyflyer39

filthyflyer39

Oct 18, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Lookn4seated said:
filthyflyer39 said:
Lookn4seated said:

You don't have to hope, just keep digging those Nickel signals.....trust me :wink:

You're doing very well, and don't be surprised by seeing Barbers, I really think you're starting to understand what that machine is telling you. Good job!

Thanks, we've been trying to be more patient and dig the nickel sounds that we used to pass up. We get alot of those like beaver tail pull tabs but I'm starting to like seeing the nickel in the whole almost as much as seeing the silver :icon_thumright: too bad the snow and cold is ending the season already

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of oldies. What is the Barber, a dime, quarter, half ? Can't tell by the photo. Congrats :icon_thumright:
HH
John

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dirtyJohn said:
Nice group of oldies. What is the Barber, a dime, quarter, half ? Can't tell by the photo. Congrats :icon_thumright:
HH
John

Judging by the size of the head and detail, I would have to guess dime. The Quarters and Halves seem to have less detail, and just seem larger compared to the lettering. Just my guess though. :dontknow:

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Great Job :thumbsup:
You've got a great site(s) if you are finding v's, IH's and Barber. Digging the deep iffy's leads to good things. It wont be long till you find seated if you keep it up. Congrats on the good finds.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Lookn4seated said:
dirtyJohn said:
HH
John

Judging by the size of the head and detail, I would have to guess dime. The Quarters and Halves seem to have less detail, and just seem larger compared to the lettering. Just my guess though. :dontknow:

It is a dime BTW. Dimes have United States of America on Obverse. Quarters/halves have the motto "In God We Trust" on the Obverse.

OP
OP
filthyflyer39

filthyflyer39

Oct 18, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
p2c said:
Lookn4seated said:
dirtyJohn said:
HH
John

It is a dime BTW. Dimes have United States of America on Obverse. Quarters/halves have the motto "In God We Trust" on the Obverse.

it is a dime, i forgot to mention it... oops :laughing7: guess i was too excited :)

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet digs!

As Jon says, keep digging those beaver-nickel signals. . . they'll pay off.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yeah Buddy! Way to get a firstie!

Congrats! If you're in that old of a site, yeah, the nickel signals and those slightly below nickel will be good diggings! A lot of the older IH's will read under a nickel if they are deep and have been in the ground a long time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions