1983 Metal Detector Special! This week only.

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention when I was cleaning out the old house last weekend, I also found a sweet 1983 Service Merchandise catalog. I was flipping through it laughing at the 100lb 19 inch TVs and then found these vintage metal detectors! I love how it advertises "Detects penny 4-6" deep". Classic! Sad thing is I bet some of you guys have used these back in the day :laughing7:

Attachments

• Detector1983.jpg
    Detector1983.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 277
  • Detector1983-2.jpg
    Detector1983-2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 254

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Mark, you're old enough to have BUILT those!

Just think, you're looking at the ETrac of it's day!

Well not quite, these were rather bad actors and those meters bounced whether you hit a target or not.

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice vintage ad Gimme....man am I glad I had something better to cut my teeth on,,the old eagle II...I sure miss that rig somedays....

Soup

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Lowbatts said:

Wow, I might take that trade if I could have the value of the US dollar of that day! If you are saying $159 was a top end detector (and generally electronics have become less expensive to manufacture) ... CPI only suggests that 1983 $1.00 is equivalent to $2.29 today and not the 10X ration that your back in the day etrac suggests...

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
p2c said:
Lowbatts said:

Wow, I might take that trade if I could have the value of the US dollar of that day! If you are saying $159 was a top end detector (and generally electronics have become less expensive to manufacture) ... CPI only suggests that 1983 $1.00 is equivalent to $2.29 today and not the 10X ration that your back in the day etrac suggests...

CPI factors in consumables and durables with heavier weighting than a lot of other market variables such as what was then niche marketing on an even smaller scale than it is today. Higher end machines of the day in '83 were in the 300+ dollar range though there were a few very high priced gadgets back then as well. I was using literary license to convey a technological theme, not being anal, bro!

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
hmmpf.... them are modern machines that comes

assembled . i built my 1st machine from a kit.

when i was only 6 yrs old. 1966.

almost all BFO'S back then TR was just gettin started

and of course ABSOLUTELY NO DISCRIMINATION.

talkin about signals that bounce. yipes

bugs

Jul 26, 2009
IL South of 80
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of silver was taken with machines like this. There was more silver and not deep.

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know what model I had, but when I was a teenager I did have a Brinkman detector.
It got me hooked on the hobby even though I mostly found junk. I don't remember finding silver coins with it but then again, if I did, I wouldn't have cared back then because silver was more common and not thought of as much more valuable than other pocket change of the day.
I have kind of the same pattern (of finding junk) to this day with my Etrac.
The main difference now is I can find junk at much greater depths.

Case in point is the last time out when I spent about an hour or more digging a hole to about elbow depth.
The signal was great and had me convinced it was a silver quarter or possibly a half.
Halfway down, at approx. 8 inches, the presence of white glass from a mason jar and part of the lid kept me at it.
Another 6 to 8 inches down I got this cool and unusual punishment...

Attachments

• escutcheon.jpg
    escutcheon.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 161
OP
OP
Gimmie The Loot

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mayo South Elgin said:
I don't know what model I had, but when I was a teenager I did have a Brinkman detector.
It got me hooked on the hobby even though I mostly found junk. I don't remember finding silver coins with it but then again, if I did, I wouldn't have cared back then because silver was more common and not thought of as much more valuable than other pocket change of the day.
I have kind of the same pattern (of finding junk) to this day with my Etrac.
The main difference now is I can find junk at much greater depths.

Case in point is the last time out when I spent about an hour or more digging a hole to about elbow depth.
The signal was great and had me convinced it was a silver quarter or possibly a half.
Halfway down, at approx. 8 inches, the presence of white glass from a mason jar and part of the lid kept me at it.
Another 6 to 8 inches down I got this cool and unusual punishment...

LOL what is it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread