And I thought it was just another Merc......

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been out pounding old ground the last several hunts,And just havent had much to show for the effort,a few relics and that has been it....it is hard for me to give up on sites that have produced some great coins and relics in the past,but I figured it was about time for a change of scenery...
Made some calls this afternoon to some local farmers asking for permission to hunt there fields,got three yes's out of three calls...I am one lucky son of a gun...A point you will see for yourself below... :headbang:

Anyhow,I headed out late this afternoon in search of one of the old homesites that dates back to atleast 1868,lucky it was somewhat dry when I arrived,which means I got to keep my shoes today :laughing7:
About 150' out in the field I had my first target,a piece of can slaw :BangHead: a few steps later it got better,a nice muddy IH,atleast thats what I thought it to be,so in the pocket till I get home to see what she was...Another ten feet or so I score another coin,sure it was IH also...dug a couple more coins not sure what these were,either IH or wheats,then some more time passes and bang a nice solid silver sound....dig down and out pops the plug with a rim of silver showing...oh yeah...thoughts at this point race through my head,I wonder what old coin have I unearthed,a barber,maybey a seated,or could it be something older,so after sitting there a minute I wipe some of the dirt away,dang its a Merc,now dont get me wrong folks,I like silver in any form,but for me,the 1800 coins is what turns my crank....so I put it in my pocket and back to hunting,I got in about thirty more minutes before the sun started to set and dug one other coin,another IH or wheat....when I arrived home I rinsed the coins off and started checking dates...they were as follows

3 IH's 1898 1887 and a semi-key date 1875 IH 2007 Redbook $18 in G-4 :headbang:
2 wheats that need more cleaning to get a date
1-Merc 1921 semi-key date NO D 2007Redbook $45 in G-4 :headbang: :headbang:

Below are the pics,enjoy
Have fun out there FOLks,I know I am :icon_thumleft:

Soup

Attachments

• DSC01714.jpg
    DSC01714.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC01716.jpg
    DSC01716.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC01721.jpg
    DSC01721.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC01719.jpg
    DSC01719.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC01722.jpg
    DSC01722.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC01724.jpg
    DSC01724.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC01726.jpg
    DSC01726.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 240

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Congratulations on an elusive pair of semi-key date coins :hello2:

Looks like your 1875 IH was spared from getting fried from all the fetilizer over the past 40 years which is fortunate

Superb hunting!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yah Buddy!
But wait, just a merc....
Super!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Scott! That '21 Merc is outstanding :thumbsup:

It's nice of you to clean all that "modern" stuff out of the way for us
so we can get to the "real oldies" right away when we get down there
for your hunt :D

OP
OP
S

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
watercolor said:
Great hunt Scott! That '21 Merc is outstanding :thumbsup:

It's nice of you to clean all that "modern" stuff out of the way for us
so we can get to the "real oldies" right away when we get down there
for your hunt :D

"golden oldies" :occasion14:

OP
OP
S

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies all...

Scrounger,the etrac will arrive today,finds will be posted tonight if the rain holds off,I am hoping for an even better day than yesterday....It will be nice to have my hunting partner back and on the hunt with it once more....I do hope it last longer without fail than the one getting repaired...If they did not pinch a wire in the housing on the new one when manufactured,It should be smooth sailing :thumbsup:

14 2/3 days to Go
Soup

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the merc and indians

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Nice coins, soupie! Is it possible the '21 has been in a fire? Looks like you got some nice buttons in there, too. Any chance of seeing the other side of 'em?

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Soupie - would you let us know what your "sales pitch" was to get 3 out of 3 farmers to say yes to let you hunt their fields? That's outstanding results! Especially if it didn't involve bribery...

"Hi Farmer Brown - I have a nice crisp $100 bill here and this $100 bill can be yours TODAY if I can just go metal detecting in your farm field. You'd like $100 wouldn't you?"

But seriously, I am interested in how you approached them, in general what you said, and if you made any mention of offering them any of the finds or splitting any gold etc. Did you have to reassure them about anything or were the three of them totally cool about it?

OP
OP
S

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Mayo,

I usually call them,and Start by telling them my name in a non saleman/telemarker way....country slang I guess you could call it....then I say the reason I am calling you is about a piece of property you own,then I give a brief descriptions such as,the 80 acres you own in section 23 parker township,I name the closest roads or the owner of the fields next to them if need be so they know where I am talking about,then I say I have been doing some reasearch on old homesites and have located one/two or however many there may be on you property and was wanting to obtain permission to metal detect them,I also try to mention close by fields and there owners I have hunted,usually I get a yes,and the always funny I dont think you will find much,I say thats ok,I just enjoy the hobby,at this point I ask if they would like to see my finds,most of them say well if you find a big jar of money we can split it,then they chuckle I chuckle and I say sounds good,I thank them for the permission,and that is the typical call....I had one no last year out of about 20 calls...and none so far this year,so I guess I will stick with it...Keeping it simple and to the point works down here,if they chat,chat back if they do not,try not to say to much......Scott

Actually now that I think about it I did receive one no this year,it was a site for the group hunt,I never actually got to talk to the peeps,I left a note in there mailbox,they called and left a message about a week later....I guess since I did not get to talk to them it does not really count as a no.... :D

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds Soupie...I love that 1921 merc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions