Found a draped Bust Large Cent (1803), plus help iding a button/token?

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Found a draped Bust Large Cent (1803), plus help id'ing a button/token?

Hi all,
I had an awesome hunt today. I started out trying a new area I researched, but either it was already hit hard or not as promising as I thought. I found nothing there after 90 minutes. Fortunately I was close to one of my older spots I found last year, so I went and hit it, and am glad I did. I decided to get on my hands and knees to detect in really dense thickets, and it paid off.
My first hit was a 1944 Wheat. Then, I hunted for a few minutes and I came across a solid 12-45 to 12-47. I was thinking silver dime or maybe quarter. I dug down and out popped a disk that was the right size and color, but I have had many false alarm tokens or buttons. I rubbed a little and saw "cent" and below it I saw 1/100. That was a real rush. I was trying to remember my coin facts, and rightly remembered I had 1807 or earlier!!!! Only my second LC found, and first for ILL and surprisingly much older than my Ohio Find (1826). I could not get a date off of it. The reverse was good and needed little cleaning, but the obverse was really toasted. I thought that It'd be great if I could just pull one silver. Within a few minutes I did just that -- a cruddy Rosie. I realized in my Large Cent Euphoria, that I must have lost my little squirt bottle, hence the dime had to go strait to the acetone.
I wandered away from the joyful spot. I found a Buffalo nickel (1937-d (has all its legs)). Then another wheat (58-D). After awhile I decided to go back to the area where I found the LC and hopefully find my squirt bottle. While there I did not find the bottle, but I got a deep 1-40 that jumped to 12-40. I found something that was dirty, deep, and quarter sized. It ended up being a button or token. I'd like any help on I'D for this one. It looks like it originally said "1846" on the one side, but got punched through and hence 1 6.
The LC was only 2-3 inches deep.
HH all-
LCa.jpg LCb.jpg
Front was bad, so I carefully used Nic-a-lene and Cent Toner. I saw 180 easily, but the 3 has popped out now.
1846a.jpg 1846b.jpg
Initially I thought this may be a button, but now I wonder if its a token.
LCday other coins.jpg

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Re: Found a draped Bust Large Cent (1803), plus help id'ing a button/token?

Awesome find on the LC Jon!!! WTG!!! If I'm not mistaken, this may be the oldest coin found in our area in at least the last 2 or 3 years....(I know Lowbatts found 2 oldie LC's last year; 1807 and 1809 I think).

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

COngrats on a great LC find Jon. :thumbsup:

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the old LC, your style of detecting paid off.

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF

Jon, Awesome hunt. Just be careful getting on your hands and knees in the woods:) Makton

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY

makton said:
Jon, Awesome hunt. Just be careful getting on your hands and knees in the woods:) Makton

That aint right Makton. LMAO!!! As far as the LC, congrats P2C. That is really a nice find. I remember finding one at a park in Chicago a few years back. It was a 1845 and still my oldest coin to date. TMAN...

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Clad the Impaler said:
Awesome find on the LC Jon!!! WTG!!! If I'm not mistaken, this may be the oldest coin found in our area in at least the last 2 or 3 years....(I know Lowbatts found 2 oldie LC's last year; 1807 and 1809 I think).

I wish, Paul!

Got the 1807 several years back, the 1809 was a half cent from who else?
The master of the coil and all that lies under it, Mr. Senior.

So I agree, we have a new 19th century master of the LC, P2C!

Super find Jon!

Is that button/token one piece or two piece?

Geez, only 3 inches deep in 200 years!

M

MR Senior L4S

Super find for Ch-go area !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro

Lowbatts said:
Is that button/token one piece or two piece?
Tim,
It's one piece (obverse/reverse). It almost appears on the non-numbered side, like there could have been a second smaller arm from the center (like hands of a clock) (the second one looks just like a point and is between the big hole and smaller bottom hole). Someone suggested a hard times token, but I doubt it since they kind of ended making those in 1844, and there is no other writing other than 1846. I know there are hard times tokens with clock hands, but I kind of still doubt that's what this is...

Funny in the same area I find an 1803 LC and an 1953-D rosie, and this 1846 dated thing all within probably a 30 foot radius...

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to go man...Great olde L.C. find,and Congratulations on those others as well !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread