Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you running discrimination?
If so I would guess you have found yourself a nice patch of iron....lift coil well off the ground if the threshold returns you have your answer....something is down there....hope that helps....

Might try a noise cancel....

Soup

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I have a park just near here that i used to be able to run the etrac at. ever since they got the last load of rubber 'playground chips' if i go anywhere near the play area (where i used to find a ton of clad) with the etrac it just goes silent. I have no idea what is in those chips but the entire area is just dead. the second i step out of there onto the grass the etrac is back and running. i have found that if i take my ace250 over there i am still able to search just freaks out the etrac for whatever reason.

neil

OP
OP
needle n haystack

needle n haystack

Dec 20, 2009
Northern, IL
Detector(s) used
Etrac / ctx 30/30
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's whats happening I lift the coil and the threshold comes back and if I keep walking to another area it goes back to normal. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to return the machine. Thanks for the help

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For curiosity dig down a 1 foot area and see if anything is down there.
Open up your discrimination.
Me I would dig out the area and see if it was iron or rocky soil

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get that same phenomenon happening when I am over the site of a fire. The ash and charcoal stuff in the ground acts like iron or something and ends up nulling out my threshhold. Try a dig and see if you can find traces of ash or charred stuff. Even in parks in the old days, instead of tearing down a structure and taking it away, they would sometimes just burn it down. Or it could have been a firepit at one time.

HH

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi neil , hows it going! heard you found a silver ring and a merc with your new etrac already, congrats.

OP
OP
needle n haystack

needle n haystack

Dec 20, 2009
Northern, IL
Detector(s) used
Etrac / ctx 30/30
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doing good mike, This new machine is quite different from what I was using but I love it. also found a silver rosie and a beautiful rare key date 1895-0 barber dime. I can't wait til I know this machine as well as my last one. Thanks guys for the help I'm going to trying digging down and finding what's down there. When this is happening I still get target signals, Can you hunt like this or is it a waste of time?

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
in my experience (i have only had my etrac for 6 months or so) i am still able to hunt. i just have to swing at a snails pace. the slower i go the better off i am (true for all types of ground not just difficult soil like you are describing).

neil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread