Missed Group Hunt But Found My Oldest Coin To Date!!

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Well, I was a bit bummed that my father and I had to miss out on todays group hunt. Got home this afternoon and threw up the christmas tree with the wifey and daugher... Figured I would run around in the front yard for a bit (which as produced a few goodies in the past). This time I wanted to try out TTF again on the E-Trac. I dug a couple of signals then went down around the area I found the aerial gunner sterling pin at (hoping to find the rest of the wings). I had a nice high tone each direction (41-42 conductivity). I dug a plug and saw what I thought would be my first large cent. So I ran from the front yard into the house to grab my camera (I got pretty excited, wife thought I dug into a line I shouldn't have). I grabbed my video cam and headed back out. I am not 100% sure on what it was ringing up in TTF as I turned off the etrac to check it out and get the cam. If I recall it was 23-42. Then again my lawn is null most of the time. So I took Jon's (L4S) motivation and ran TTF as slow as I could. It paid off tonight. I am awful with cleaning copper so I figured I would quit while I was ahead (unless anyone has any better ideas). I ran it under water with a q-tip for awhile. Then boiled a bit of hydrogen-peroxide in the microwave for about 45 seconds dropped it in for maybe 2 seconds and then rinsed it under water. What you see is where the coin is as of now (I will probably leave it here as it is my oldest find to date and I am happy with the way it looks now. Here is a video pics below. Glad you all had a great time on the group hunt. My father and I were bummed we could not make it but look forward to the next get-to-gether as we will be there for sure!

11.19.11000.png

11.19.11003.png

11.19.11007.png

11.19.11016.png

11.19.11019.png

Camera Phone HDR Shots

11.19.11000.png

11.19.11001.png

enjoy your weekends! good luck out there!
Neil

metman

Jul 28, 2010
Metamora, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, very nice find. Your yard really does have some history. Who knows what you are going to find next. It is amazing that you can go over an area you think you already hunted and still find more good stuff. Congrats :icon_thumleft:

Yes, I am kinda bummed we didn't get in on the group hunt too. I hope everyone who made the hunt had a good time . . . looking forward to seeing the finds.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the L C club........

No place is hunted out... you will find more in the future. Every year go over the areas...

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ON THE LC! group hunt at your house next weekend right ! just kiddin"

OP
OP
nhagan

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
etrac007 said:

haha with you teaching me your skills bring it on down! ;)
glad to have my first lc. It is just something different holding a large chunk of coin in your hand that was around when good ol' honest abe was around/in town. glad you guys had a good day for a group hunt (although im really bummed we missed out on a woods hunt as I have been wanting to hit up the timber for awhile now). Oh well maybe next time!

Yard definitely has some history. I found this within ten feet of where the original 'main-drag' would have gone through back in the wagon days...

neil

OP
OP
nhagan

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Here are the other two high tones I dug tonight (just to keep track of when I dug what)...
One is kind of interesting it is really heavy (lead?) maybe a shotgun load??? I dunno the two rings around the outside are too uniform... The other piece is of course a spoon.. I have found more spoons and buckles around here (I should really throw together a shadow box of everything from this yard so far)....

Straight out of the ground...
11.19.11000.png

rinsed up a bit...
11.19.11002.png

11.19.11004.png

11.19.11006.png

11.19.11007.png

Neil

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COngrats on a fantastic LC! Glad you decided to run the TTF. I know you'll probably have nightmares because of it tonight though, but well worth it. I can't go for more than an hour running ttf before going crazy, hahaha. Now you'll be thinking where else you can run it and what you've missed. :laughing7:

congrats once again.

L4S

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
nhagan said:
etrac007 said:

haha with you teaching me your skills bring it on down! ;)

The cost would be pretty high for a 007 learning. You'd be skilled, but your yard would be emptied before you could use those skills.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
We did miss you, but hey, A Large Cent verses a long drive for maybe some ticks, a few weeks and a merc ... I'd stick with the LC. Congrats on joining the LC club, they are quite fun to bring up, especially say somewhere like ILL that does not have as many as the Eastern folk do.

Group hunt was really quite fun though...

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Very nice hunt for sure. Yeah, you got the goodies right at home!

OP
OP
nhagan

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Lookn4Seated said:
COngrats on a fantastic LC! Glad you decided to run the TTF. I know you'll probably have nightmares because of it tonight though, but well worth it. I can't go for more than an hour running ttf before going crazy, hahaha. Now you'll be thinking where else you can run it and what you've missed. :laughing7:

congrats once again.

L4S

You are not kidding I had a headache after about 30 minutes with the headphones on... I know a few other places this would have been perfect at..

Neil

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Congratulations on your first large cent!!! What a great yard! Great coins you have pulled out of there. Convince your wife to plant a huge garden in the front yard and get out the rototiller!

OP
OP
nhagan

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Pocket Spill said:
Congratulations on your first large cent!!! What a great yard! Great coins you have pulled out of there. Convince your wife to plant a huge garden in the front yard and get out the rototiller!

shoot she is no green thumb! It would just be another project for me to take care of ;) .. we did however put a pool in the backyard last year and while excavation found a piece of shotgun dated 1852 as well as a couple marbles. I saw what appeared to be a set of old handcuffs while they were doing the digging but was in the line of the scoop and I was not quick enough to get in there and get it... Running TTF has brought new hope to the hunting as it is loaded with large chunks of iron and nails...

neil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread