mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what kind of camera you have, nor how much detail you are looking for.

If you are just wanting to take pictures of coins, and the like, a lot of folks use a magnifying glass over the item, to enlarge it, and then take a picture.

If you are wanting something you can enlarge - its a matter of personal choice, but the higher the megapixels, the better quality it will retain when you enlarge it. Also - forget about digital zoom, it doesn't help what you are looking for. You want your camera to have good optical zoom, and macro if possible.

Beth

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes we need to know what kind of camera you have...

if it just a plain ole point and shoot camera look for a macro symbol on it....

for taking close up shots of your finds that is all you should need.

it looks like this
macro-symbol.gif

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Not sure what kind of camera you have, nor how much detail you are looking for.

If you are just wanting to take pictures of coins, and the like, a lot of folks use a magnifying glass over the item, to enlarge it, and then take a picture.

If you are wanting something you can enlarge - its a matter of personal choice, but the higher the megapixels, the better quality it will retain when you enlarge it. Also - forget about digital zoom, it doesn't help what you are looking for. You want your camera to have good optical zoom, and macro if possible.

Beth

What Beth Said, Chug

I Love My new camera It has Macro and Super Macro!!!! Cant wait to Find Something To Be able to Post Great Pics fugi fine pix s3200 14 megapixal Not your average camera for Metal detecting But great for Closeup Shots!!!! I'm practicing now for Hunting Season!!!! Chug

OP
OP
D

dbennett7

Aug 7, 2011
yhe camera is a vivicam112hd 9.1 megapixel 4x zoom the problem is it does have a macro but it is auto can not be ajusted dennis

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, Chug,

Can't wait to see what you come up with, with THAT camera.

4x zoom is a tough one. (even if its 4x optical) I just looked up that camera - Its 4x digital zoom, not optical - so that is a big part of your problem

YOU get to see the larger pic, but it doesn't transfer into a quality picture. That particular camera is good for taking pictures of your kids at the beach. Press and go.

You are going to have to get something with adjustable or manual macro (by the way, you can change your physical distance from an object to get a clearer picture in macro), and an optical zoom - and not a fixed internal lens.

Beth

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Dennis,
You don't perchance have a scanner for your computer? You could use that instead of the camera. You can just put the coins on and scan. It sounds like the focal plane of the lens is the problem, and even shooting through a magnifying lens probably won't help that issue.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Kermit,
Job opportunity, video instructor for MD'ers!

As Jon suggested, scanners do wonders for those of us (well okay myself) who can't take a pic straight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread