BEST PLACE 2 METAL DETECT IN COOK COUNTY ILLINOIS!!!

wright

Apr 27, 2005
You might want to think about joinintg a club. I belong to a club that meets every 4th tuesday of the month in joliet wee go on 2 club hunts a month

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard on tv when i was in chicago that washington park is the oldest in chicago. I beleive they said it had a hoarse track at one time...

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
The park on the South side called Washington Park is probably not a good place to go hunting - gang banger territory. Now, in suburban Homewood there was a horse track called Washington Park, and that might work well. The Joliet club - Will Co. recovery? Thinking about that one. I've had some luck at Site A in the Palos Forest preserve. Was out there yesterday (Wed. 11-29-06) with a friend, and then the skies opened on us. Long walk back to the cars in the rain.

Tourezrick

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the one! The one with the Horse Track!!.......I know what you mean about chicago though. I have been making deliveries there every week for the last 14 years I start west of O'hare Airport and end up in Gary Indiana.I usually put around 200 miles of driving in the city while making my deliveries.It's usually around this time of year (Christmas) on the Southside where I have problems, with people Busting out a window to take my bag.Needlees to say I quit taking a bag after that. A little common sense will go a long way to keep you out of a mess.I live in Illinois, just right across the Mississippi River from Fort Madison Iowa, so I pretty much grew up in a small community of 1000 people.
Needless to say I appreciate my small town every time I return Home.Friends have asked me of what I thought of Chicago, I have told them that thats not a fair question because all I have seen is the west side and the south side...

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The older towns along the Chicago and Northwestern R R .
I look for tear downs and sidewalk tear ups.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I am thinking that the best places to look in Illinois would be in these peoples houses...
DesPlaines_IL_SilverBob
Shermanville
Baron Von DeKalb

or at least follow them around :D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grew up in CC forest preserves
some crazy cool stuff to be seen and found 8)
tons of history there and old foundations,bottle dumps in the woods to be found with some exploring

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Yep, lots of old everything in Lemont and Lockport, two old canal towns. Good eats at La Dolce Vita in Lemont, places in Lockport I can't remember the names of. Wait - Tallgrass! Great food- take the Mrs. there. FWIW, Lemont has great summer Cruise Nights on Wednesdays, almost as good as the ones we have in Frankfort on Thursdays. Almost!

Tourezrick

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im refering to the river grove area not exclusive (follow the river north)but close

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
I will be up in the Illinois/Indiana area for the first quarter of the year working. Where is the CC forest? I have plenty of free time on the weekends and if the weather is good it would be nice to do some m/ding. Thanks TMAN...

Illinois Jeff

Feb 12, 2006
Hanover Park Illinois
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been in many forest preserves myself. It is against the law. Not many police will bother you unless you are leaving a mess. While with my sons, I have 1 of them carry a trash bag for any junk I may dig. The officer will see that you are respecting the property and will most likely leave you alone. I never leave anything laying around and I always fill in the holes and make them look as if i never dug there. Some officers are genuinely curious as well. Currently Cook county is in a budget crisis so there is a possibility of more tickets being issued just to generate revenue. Lets not forget about the weirdos that frequent the preserves also, always hunt with a partner if you can. My preference is the North and West suburban preserves in Elk Grove, Barrington, Hoffman estates areas. They are generally pretty quiet, easy parking and much cleaner.

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
I also belong to the Joliet club and at least two members have got tickets for the Cook County Preserve. I've been in Texas for the last 3 months so I don't know if the permits have been worked out yet. Rob

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
give us a heads up when you guys know!!

Jul 25, 2013
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, White Goldmaster V/Sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Washington Park - Wrong and Additional Info

The park on the South side called Washington Park is probably not a good place to go hunting - gang banger territory. Now, in suburban Homewood there was a horse track called Washington Park, and that might work well. The Joliet club - Will Co. recovery? Thinking about that one. I've had some luck at Site A in the Palos Forest preserve. Was out there yesterday (Wed. 11-29-06) with a friend, and then the skies opened on us. Long walk back to the cars in the rain.

Tourezrick

I worked as a Chicago Police Sergeant for twenty years and Washington Park was in my area of responsibility. I and my friends have also detected there as well as many others I have seen detecting there. Washington Park is not what I could call gang banger terroritory to any to any degree that I would be afraid to go there. Washington park is adjacent to the campus of the University of Chicago, the University of Chicago Hospital, Hyde Park neighborhood, and a Illinois Army National Guard armory. Washington park is frequented by Whites, Blacks, Latinos and other ethnic groups. The gangs in the area have been greatly reduced due to the removal of public housing there in and around. The gangs that are active are most active in the neighborhoods adjacent to some areas of the park. During normal daylight hours its fine to go into the park, at night of course, the temptation arises for gang contact.

Also, although not well known the strip of land just south the University of Chicago campus (Midway Plaisance) is where the World's Fair: Columbia Exposition (also known as Chicago World's Fair) was held there in 1893. Research this and you find that a lot went on here and also in Washington Park. People find relics from this fair in the park and Plaisance. It would be wise to check ahead because I do not know the rules for metal detecting on the Plaisance. I will try it sometime soon and let you know if I get stopped.

Jul 25, 2013
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, White Goldmaster V/Sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't metal detect Cook County Forest Preserves any more due to new ruling. If you get caught you will be fined even if all you are doing is carrying your detector around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread