Found a tiny bird band today and cant find any info on it

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Found a tiny bird band today and can't find any info on it

Found my first bird band at the base of a dead tree about 1/2'' down,about the size of a 177 cal. pellet..I would like to find some info on it if possible!It would be cool to find out what kind of bird it was,year etc.I tried Reporting Encounter of Marked Bird with a Metal Federal Band/Signaler un oiseau portant une bague métallique du gouvernement fédéral/Reporte del encuentro de un ave con anillo metálico del gobierno federal de los EE.UU. with no luck and hope someone can help me out finding some info on it
icon_thumleft.gif

the #'read 1841 on top and 22467 below and on each side it says ''OPEN'' and the on there side it reads ''ABRE'' is Spanish for open that's all I know about the band.Thank you!!

P1010360.jpg

P1010364.jpg

P1010361.jpg

Stand Watie

Mar 24, 2012
Greenwood SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt doves and waterfowl and I've reported several bands over the years. I've always used the 800 number and called the data in. The size of your band makes me think it was either a dove or woodcock. Both have toothpick sized legs and take a very small band. But of course it could be from a song bird done by a state wildlife department, an individual or a birding club. Homing pigeon racers also band their pigeons. All of the federal bands I've seen have the word AVISE on them. Yours doesn't seem to have any ID of who the bander was so I assume it was an individual's pigeon or a club's band.

You could send an email to - [email protected] - and describe the band and how you obtained it along with all the data on the band. If they don't have it on file they still should be able to point you in the right direction. Keep us updated as I am very interested in what you find out.

You have found a treasure in that it's a mystery what species of bird, how old it was, etc etc. That is very cool.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rob.s

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info and will email them with the band in question...I told my buddy about it,who is also a bird hunter and he said,put the band on some fishing line and wear it,lol!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
You might try the American Racing Pigeon Union site but I kinda agree it's awful small. Very cool find!

OP
OP
rob.s

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt doves and waterfowl and I've reported several bands over the years. I've always used the 800 number and called the data in. The size of your band makes me think it was either a dove or woodcock. Both have toothpick sized legs and take a very small band. But of course it could be from a song bird done by a state wildlife department, an individual or a birding club. Homing pigeon racers also band their pigeons. All of the federal bands I've seen have the word AVISE on them. Yours doesn't seem to have any ID of who the bander was so I assume it was an individual's pigeon or a club's band.

You could send an email to - [email protected] - and describe the band and how you obtained it along with all the data on the band. If they don't have it on file they still should be able to point you in the right direction. Keep us updated as I am very interested in what you find out.

You have found a treasure in that it's a mystery what species of bird, how old it was, etc etc. That is very cool.

Just email them and hope they have say info on the band.Thanks again and will any information received on here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread