2 Short hunts this week -- got a 1920 SLQ today plus were expecting (early october)

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
2 Short hunts this week -- got a 1920 SLQ today plus we're expecting (early october)

Hi all,
Trying to get as much detecting I can in now as the bigger and better news is my wife and I are expecting our first. Due date is early october.

In the mean time, I managed 2 short hunts at one of my newer good sites. On monday (not pictured) I pulled a 1920 Merc and 4 Wheat pennies 1910, 1920, 1944, and 1927.

Today 4/18/12, just about 5 to 10 minutes in my hunt, I hit a baddish sounding 12-41, but it was near where I pulled a bunch of wheats, so I started digging. After not fining in the plug, I re-scanned and now it sounded like a dime. Dug some more. Re- scanned. Sounded like a quarter 1 way and baddish other ways. I looked in the hole, saw a little glint on the side, but I tried to not get too excited. Pulled out the clod of dirt. Saw the rim. It looked like it was either a quarter or a smashed crimped bottle cap. Cleared of the dirt and viola -- a SLQ! Only my 2nd ever found, silver #17 for 2012, and already quarter #5. The ratio of big silver 8 (quarters and halves) to 9 dimes has been great -- no stinking jeffs. About 30 minutes later I pulled a shallow Wheat. Another 30 minutes later I pulled a V nickel -- 1906. It was a good 8 inches, so don't say the Etrac sucks on nickels, since getting my Etrac, I've dug around 40 v-nickels-- it sucks nickels.

4-18-12A.jpg
4-18-12B.jpg

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome news and congrats to you and yours!!!!

Nice finds as well and that's one clean looking v-nickel!

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Awesome news and congrats to you and yours!!!!

Nice finds as well and that's one clean looking v-nickel!

Thanks Rob.

As to the v-nickel, I have tried a new cleaning method, inspired in part by a video American Coin Hunting had up. I spend about 10-15 minutes cleaning by hand, taking a little warm water and Bar Keeper's Friend and rub it with my 2 thumbs and index fingers. every few seconds rinse and use more bar keeper's friend. Near the end, when its close to done, I swap and use baking soda instead of the Bar Keepers friend to neutralize the acid and give a finer grit on the rub.

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Rob.

As to the v-nickel, I have tried a new cleaning method, inspired in part by a video American Coin Hunting had up. I spend about 10-15 minutes cleaning by hand, taking a little warm water and Bar Keeper's Friend and rub it with my 2 thumbs and index fingers. every few seconds rinse and use more bar keeper's friend. Near the end, when its close to done, I swap and use baking soda instead of the Bar Keepers friend to neutralize the acid and give a finer grit on the rub.

Thanks Jon,I'll give that a try.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Wow! Hopefully between raising P2C Jr. and work you'll still get out and keep those fantastic finds flowing!

Congrats all around and believe us who have been there, raised that, the first is not the worst. It's just keeping that new Pops learning curve in focus.

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome news and great coins Jon! I'm loving seeing all the V nickels lately! Who says etrac is bad at nickels? I bet its only the people who don't dig 12-12 because of foil and can slaw! Thanks to people like that, there are still lots of old nickels in the ground for us!!!!

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the silver and the news on the baby. looks like more silver for us in the fall!

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and a Bigger congrats on p2c jr. When your baby is born, i recommend playing Tony Diana's sounds of the excalibur. He/She will be a gold vacuum by age 5.

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Thanks everybody for the well congrats and well-wishes. I am really excited to become a dad. L4S, I may consider adding that to the play list, but I don't own an excal nor is it in the budget. Perhaps by the time the Baby is 5 there will be an excal 3 that's FBS and works like an Etrac...

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME news buddy and congrats on the coins!!!!

smartmoney

Dec 4, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your baby on the way! The Etrac is just as good on nickels as any other machine. Youre right, if you dont dig 12-12 or 12-11 or even 20-17 then youre not going to get nickels. I only dig the deeper targets so no matter what it is, if it's 4" down or more, Im digging

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread