New guy in Crawford County

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found so many shotgun shell ends this spring that I guit counting at 50 a couple weeks back. The deepest was 11 inches with the Quattro. I did find one Indian head with the same ID so I am stuck digging them. The park I hunt must have used dogs to bird hunt as I have found remnants of 5 broken brass leash latches. Hunting treasure often turns out to be a local history lesson! Have fun with your new hobby and study all your finds, there will be a quiz!:laughing7:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard!

You really HAVE to dig that shotgun shell brass. . . depending on soil conditions, depth, etc, those shotgun shell targets could easily be old nickels, gold, or vintage CrackerJack prizes from the early 20th-century. BTW, there's a guy on the forum (pretty sure it's "turtlefoot13") that's putting together a database of the head-stamps on shotgun shells. I've been sending him all the brass that I find and after he dates it, I have a good idea of the age of the sites I'm hunting.

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome lakebum, i'll never forget one of my old history teachers, he made the class interesting.

OP
OP
L

Lakebum

Jun 16, 2012
IL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome. Today i went back out in the woods and made some money! I found a 1977 penny :D and an 8 inch in diamiter metal ring. I dug trough some roots and it was about 6 inches deep. I had my detector set to coins so its prob some kind of nickle. Tomorrow sometime I am going to clean off the rust and see what kinda metal it is. Any tips on telling what kind of metal i found? I am not going to lie at all, I am just excited I can find things lol.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large iron is conductive and will often register as coins. Rings also have a resonance that give a good repeatable sound when detected. You will find through trial and error, that digging all targets will result in being able to better predict what is under the coil. The only way to really know is to dig though.

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to post pictures of your finds so we can drool and give you some "nice job" and "way to go"s.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey just remember what Jason said and welcome!

If that big "ring" has rust on it, and even if it didn't, it's probably still iron. Large and small iron rings will "ring" up in the coin range very often. If it is a fairly thick band then it may be an old wheel wagon hub or band. If someone lost a tire there and had to replace it they may have lost other things very nearby. Turn that disc back down and go over that area again!

OP
OP
L

Lakebum

Jun 16, 2012
IL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome.

The ring is about crown shape but really thick. I went back out in the woods again today about 5:30 and got lots of pop cans and shotgun shells again. My next mission is to find people i know with old houses to go look at. That with some rain for easier digging would be awesome.

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if those pop cans are the old pull tab type, keep hunting. Pull tabs usually mean old coins.

OP
OP
L

Lakebum

Jun 16, 2012
IL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, thanks for the tip. I never even thought of that.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you are talking about loggers, they spend every last dime on beer and cigarettes. I found in the neighborhood of 500 old style pulltabs and the only silver was the back of an old pocket watch. Apparently the watch was not really needed when it's always beer thirty.:occasion14:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fit right in during two years of logging in the 70s. Thank god I survived and later swore off all alcohol! I think it only proper and fitting that everytime I dig an old beer can, I get to clean up some of the mess I had a hand in creating. :sadsmiley:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions