• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
So anyhow Mayo and me hit a nearby park in a nearby town yesterday. Again we were just popping the shallow surface stuff. One of the concerned citizens called the police and told them two suspicious men with metal detectors were in the park. This is a remote park area near a couple old homes.

The community service van pulls up and the guy comes over and asks me if we have permission to hunt that park. I told him there is no such thing as site-specific permission requirements in that town and I've been hitting the parks there for 20-plus years. Told him we were just popping shallow targets, not digging anything and not doing any damage, been there at that spot many times before and several times this year, never had any trouble, etc..

So he was agreeable and said have fun guys and left. Within a few minutes a squad car pulled in and the regular PD with chevrons came over to see what we were doing. Now he said the same busybody had gotten upset that we were still there and called 911.

He was cool and after checking to see that we were not planting bombs or killing animals he thanked us and told us not to worry about it and left. But I did tell him we'd leave to save further phone calls. Since this busybody Gladys Kravitz type would most likely not stop complaining and I didn't want to have them answer yet another call on us I just figured it'd be best to get out.

Everyone that had interacted with us in the park had been cool, a couple casual "Hellos" and "Have a nice day" greetings. I just wish the person had showed up with the police on either occasion so they could have seen close up what we were doing. But that's the way of the world these days. Lonely mad people waiting for an excuse to complain.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have stayed & hunted. as is, he may think he won & Will report you again if he sees you back

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeh i would make it a point to hunt there just to piss the old busy body off

dbennett7

Aug 7, 2011
there you go uot terrourizing little old ladys you forgot to tell did you suspicious looking men find anything for all the trouble you had dennis ps you would more than likely blend in better at my place

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
That's what happens when you hunt another person's honey hole.

Nice offer to leave so no more calls would be made to the PD.

Best of luck, in the future, you might try camo,
Bill

Derail

Jun 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This proves a point I have stated in the past. "You never know what someone is really thinking - or why". Over time, we become desensitized and no longer are surprised by what people do. But we never cease to become disgusted.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had this same very thing happen to be at least a dozen times.
The first time I hunted with Mark (watercolor) the police were called. The same women called them again the next 3 times I was out there. On the last occasion
I stayed in front of her house for 20 minutes waiting for them to show , they showed up 5 minutes later then left. I went back in front of her house and make believed I was still detecting for 10 minutes.

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
It's happened where I live during sidewalk digs enough, but the black and whites that have responded just roll up, wave and roll off. If they had gotten a 911 call, they might make the caller come out and explain themselves in this town, they do have better things to do and lots of bigger and badder game than yours truly.

So that's the main reason I chose to leave, if this person was demanding enough to call a second time, and 911 at that, then they may well have tried to get into our face(s). That would result in a problem call to the PD with no one winning except those who collect court costs. We have a saying out this way, "Abandon all hope, ye who face the unchained Mayo" or something like that.

BTW Bob, the PD out there did tell you not to dig under that lady's porch anymore, and return her car battery, didn't they?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread