New Philadelphia,Illinois.Maps and all sorts of info on this former town.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wishbone1958

Jan 13, 2007
southern illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Trac- Tesoro Compadre
diggummup said:
Anybody ever heard of this place? I came across this site while searching for something else and thought it may be of interest to someone nearby for research and/or detecting the area possibly.It's now farmland.Used to be a town that was founded in 1836.Check it out-http://www.anthro.uiuc.edu/faculty/cfennell/NP/
VERY INTERESTING ARTICLE... I LOVE HISTORY AND THAT JUST GOES TO SHOW YOU IF YOU DO YOUR HOMEWORK YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU MIGHT EXPOSE... I AM FORMALLY FROM CHICAGO LIVED THERE 45 YEARS.. JUST RECENTLY MOVED TO SOUTHERN ILLINOIS.. SO YES THIS INFO ON THIS FORMER TOWN IS VERY INTERESTING.. ITS A SHAME THAT THIS TOWN HAS BEEN RAZED.. I WONDER ABOUT THE CEMETARY THEY HAD IS IT NOT THERE ANYMORE AND IS IT ALL FARMLAND.. THATS A PITY.... SHAME ON OUR SOCIETY.. I HAVE READ RECENT STORIES ABOUT ANCIENT CIVILIZATIONS IN ILLINOIS.. I HAVE READ RECENTLY THAT SOME PEOPLE WERE USING A AUGER DIGGING DOWN ABOUT 100 FEET AND DISCOVERED SOME ANCIENT HISTORY COINS ETC.. THERE IS SO MUCH THAT WE WILL NEVER KNOW UNLESS SOMEONE EXPOSES IT.. AND THERE WILL BE LOTS OF THINGS WE WILL NEVER KNOW UNLESS BY STROKE OF LUCK IT IS UNCOVERED..

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is cool
NPaerial7.jpg

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
CAIRO being the name of a town in S.Ill. is not a fluke nor coincidence.....Somebody settled there before the Chikasaws ever got there. Remeber, most all original american-Indians were nomadic. When the game gave out , they moved....stvn.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you like the 1836-1998 overlay of this former town,eh Ed? I wish I lived up there.

Cairo,(pronounced "Kero") also in southern Illinois, would be a great town to be able to detect in.Since the population is at an all time low of what it once was in the early part of the 20th century.During the Civil War it was home to a huge Union camp and supply depot,so large that they had no land left and the U.S.Navy had to construct a new home for its Mississippi fleet a few miles west of Cairo at Mound city.Once upon a time in 1886 it had the highest per capita commercial valuation in the U.S.with combined river and rail shipments evaluated at 60 million dollars.Nowadays it sits with many of its historical buildngs in a state of decay,including ones listed in the National Historical Register.Here's a couple photos with a link to about 70 more-http://flickr.com/photos/onanov/sets/72157594383266493/

Attachments

• cairo1.jpg
    cairo1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 236
  • cairo3.jpg
    cairo3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 240

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
diggummup said:
I see you like the 1836-1998 overlay of this former town,eh Ed? I wish I lived up there.

Cairo,(pronounced "Kero") also in southern Illinois, would be a great town to be able to detect in.Since the population is at an all time low of what it once was in the early part of the 20th century.During the Civil War it was home to a huge Union camp and supply depot,so large that they had no land left and the U.S.Navy had to construct a new home for its Mississippi fleet a few miles west of Cairo at Mound city.Once upon a time in 1886 it had the highest per capita commercial valuation in the U.S.with combined river and rail shipments evaluated at 60 million dollars.Nowadays it sits with many of its historical buildngs in a state of decay,including ones listed in the National Historical Register.Here's a couple photos with a link to about 70 more- HOLY SHNIKEES!!! I passed thru Cairo last in the drought of 89, when the bridge over the Mississippi I could see just a meandering trickle in the middle of the riverbed, maybe 400 feet either side of that trickle being dried mud-bottom before either shore of trees on both sides. Very eerie to see that great river that way. Lotta people from my work went bottle hunting in that exposed area & found a lot of intact very old bottles. Thanks for this information here that you gave, too!! I never knew about that large military presence. Cairo was near deserted back in 1989, w/very high unemployment rate of those that remained there. stve. http://flickr.com/photos/onanov/sets/72157594383266493/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread