Cook County CAN ------ Me....

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problems in cook county do not end with a ban on metal detecting. I have a fishing boat that i am required to keep someplace else or not park my truck in the garage because it is illegal to park my boat and trailer on my property even to pack it for a trip. Yes, that is exactly what the code enforcement guy told me. I have since sold my snowmobile and trailer which I didn't use enough to justify the storage fees, sold our camper because it was to expensive to store with the little amount we used it. Now i get a warning in the mail that I havent purchased the motor vehicle sticker for my boat. The cost of the sticker is $60.00 a year for a trailer that my state license costs $14.00 for the same year. Now remember I have to buy this sticker but cant keep the trailer on my property. I was as told by the ignorant uneducated county employees that I need to purchase this sticker and apply it to my license plate yet the secretary of states office tells me do not apply that sticker to your license plate or the state police will pull me over, ticket me and make me remove the unauthorized sticker from the license plate. So I researched the ordinance and read through the whole thing. It lists campers, snowmobile trailers and boats saying they all need the sticker. Be
Ow that it states any trailer that rest any of its towed weight upon the towing vehicle is exempt. So I call the county and they say that is wrong that I do not know what I am talking about. That if I do not buy the sticker they will send the sheriff out to ticket me. I told them the boat is on private property and they said the sheriff can come onto my property uninvited to write me a ticket. I explained the boat is kept in my garage and was told they have a right to gain access to the boat to ticket me.
So basically I and others are being strong armed into buying a sticker for their trailer and am being told the police can and will come on my property and gain access to my home without my permission to ticket me for something that is not required by code.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in Park Ridge in the 1980's. Times do change. Well,, we are all here to find stuff and have fun! I would have no problem sharing a good site or two in Kane County. Drop me a line and I will try and help out.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup, thats why I haven't detected in over a year...

tinman68

Aug 5, 2011
vp il
Primary Interest:
Other
Omg the ghost has returned tf is in the house hope to see some new vid soon private property will do just fine

amxfred

May 14, 2011
Dekalb, IL
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Sunray X-1 Probe & Auvio wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So do people quit hunting just because the Cook County Forest preserves are off limits or am I just missing something? What about all the schools, parks and private properties in Cook County? I also believe there are still some people hunting those Cook County woods without a problem.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup, thats why I haven't detected in over a year...

TF good to see you back, Im in kane county and if you and your crew every want to hit up some of my spot's out here your more then welcome. Group hunt, bring your camera! The offer is on the table.

rlieson1

Oct 19, 2011
Downers Grove,Il
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i..Fisher F75 LTD....Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Helix,
I would love to take you up on your offer..I live in Downers Grove and am tired of getting chased out of the ccfps or at the least trying to hunt them in a semi-paranoid state. I have both a v3i and a newly acquired F75 I'm just getting the hang of.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
And people used to chide me for selling the house and moving the family out of Cook Country....AND Illinois into Minnesota many decades ago. There is metal detecting anywhere....hunting just 3 miles from the house, and not too much political hassle on insidious laws.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread