Searching Farm Fields

Marvin

Dec 24, 2010
Western Burbs of Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission to hunt some farm land this spring where there used to be a one room school house. Two questions; if a one room school house was in use for 30-40 years is there bound to be something to dig? Also, how is hunting a farm field, miserable and not worth the time or not that bad?
Thanks for any help.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Your own back yard was once a farm field! At least mine was. I found a 1917 Paul Jones Four Roses Whiskey Bottle Cap in my suburban SoCal yard that was once a sugar beet field! Also found in backyard, a Silver Mercury Dime and Wheat Penny!
I think it's worth a search! You never knows what you may find! And you get to practice listening to you detector!
HH!

GRiley

Apr 15, 2013
North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000/DI Series 3
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Marvin,
There should be some relics to find around the school. Probably some buttons and buckles. Many of the one room schools were used for meetings, voting and all sorts of gatherings so there might be a few coins. Most of my best finds have come from farm fields where houses once stood over a hundred years ago. Look for high ground and pieces of broken pottery. On a sunny day you can often see the broken glass reflecting on freshly plowed fields. Another plus is the occasional arrowhead you find while looking at the ground while detecting.........HH

Dave~IL

Sep 4, 2011
S. Elgin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My house was built in 2000. The lot and the one next door were wooded. (mine still is). These woods were part of a farm. The original farmhouse is down the block, but the barn was torn down for a new home 3 years ago. Detecting in my yard one year I dug up a 1838 Large Cent. Couldn't believe my eyes. So, detect that farm like the stuff is there, just waiting for your coil to pass over it.

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some nice stuff found in fields that were once schoolhouses. detect it, and go back after it is tilled year after year. items could have been dragged away by the plows for a quarter mile away from schoolhouse site. I have detected some of them in your area.

amxfred

May 14, 2011
Dekalb, IL
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Sunray X-1 Probe & Auvio wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The plowed fields are tough on the knees and the lower back but there are some good finds to be had. I can only do about three hours at a time. Happy hunting!

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The plowed fields are tough on the knees and the lower back but there are some good finds to be had. I can only do about three hours at a time. Happy hunting!

fred it right about the back and knees in corn fields, soybean fields are the best.
don't forget to look for indian artifacts too!

Last edited:

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree plowed corn fields can be tough especially when its a muddy mess. Yes the best would be a fresh cut bean field. Those are just like detecting a lawn nice and flat. The thing with farm fields is you can only really hunt them in the spring before the crops are planted and in the fall after they are picked. I have hunted in full grown corn but that's not so good. I am not a betting man but my experience says there should be some good finds at the old school house site you located. Seeing as we live in the same area I am very curious as to see what comes out of this one room school house site. Also way to go on locating and gaining permission that can be the biggest challenge of them all.

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt fields here in northern Illinois. Found a lot of good finds over the years. Found some nice coins 100yards or more away from the building site, probably moved by a plow over the years. Good luck and you don't have to worry about turf marks.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got off the phone with a farmer who runs 2,000 acres in Kane...... They don't care..

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit it! if you don't find anything, wait till he plows and then hit it again. The plow is like a recycle machine it keeps the goods coming.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions