Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sniper-medic

Jun 21, 2007
Mendota, Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT, Spectrum DFX, and White's Spectra VX3
Hey Ang,
Never detected there, but always try to make it there like once a year. Wife does her shopping and then we usually stop at a tavern for a bite to eat and enjoy some libations! Kewl town...........Lots of history!

Randy

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, they now have a Wal-Mart! Can you believe it? A small town of 3900 people and there's a Wal-mart! I lived down the road across hwy 20 from the Wal-Mart. I can't wait to get back there after retirement.

My Dad told me that there was a guy who owned the Triangle Motel (it's still there, next to hwy 20 near the middle school) who sold metal detectors and was the first person to get into both Grant Park and Rec Park with a detector! He must have cleaned house! About 10,000 boyscouts come to town each year and camp out for a week in both parks! Heard he detected a lot of the old home yards too! I have a couple leads of areas that may not have been detected (need a boat to get there). I hope to go there next summer and check them out.

Galena is a neat town and has an old beautiful main street that IS the center of attention when the tourist come. About two years ago the town tore up the main street blacktop which covered the old original brick road! The bricks and dirt was scraped up and taken to a large dirt lot where workers separated the antique brick from dirt...I was there separating treasure from dirt! I found some old coins, the neatest being a large cent, mid 1800s...wish I had a picture of it. I'll post a pic when I return to Alaska (in Texas right now).

Thanks for the reply and it's good to know some people have heard of Galena! What a neat town!

p.s. The Galena Pirate HS Football team is 12-0 and headed to state if they win their next game!

Take care,
AlaskaAng

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread