the shelton gang

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
glennon 1 said:
what do you mean good luck. you just have to know how to talk to the people. you from around columbia.
When a bloke says "good luck", he means to wish you success. What is hard tio understand? I've been to Anna many times, and made many a foray into them beautiful forests in search of treasure.....many miles in everuy direction from Anna. :wink:

Mar 7, 2008
NM.MT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab,GP3500,Whites,TM 808
wishful_thinking said:
I live in Columbia, IL. There are rumors that the shelton gang had a hideout on my buddies property. Does anyone know of Shelton Brothers Gang activity between Columbia, Millstadt, and Dupo?

thanks in advance!
the shelton brothers are my great uncles on my fathers they lived s/e of a little town called fairfield Il. they call the area pond creek bottoms there are alot of stories of the brothers on my mothers side there was charle harris he was part of the shelton gang in the early days they broke off and so the book was wrote bloody williams co. there is alot of places down there to look if they was going to hide cache i would think it would be around there homes in pond creek stories of old machine guns and tons of money are still talked about within the family

U.P. Northwoods

Jul 27, 2008
Nisula, MI/Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6
The Sheltons were also pretty well know here in the Peoria area. One lived on Farmington rd. and the house is still there and believe there is a street next to it called Shelton. I believe most of their influence here occurred after the war. Capones gangs by that time had lost a lot of its controlling interest in Peoria and the Sheltons moved in.

cbb2000

Dec 7, 2010
I am just recently finding out about my family history. I grew up not really having grandparents around. My great grandmother, Blanche, was the wife of Roy Shelton of the Shelton gang. As far as I can remember her during my childhood she had always had health issues and not able to walk. I loved her very much even though she couldnt be there for all of us like I would have loved to have her. My brothers are older than me and they remember her before her stroke. She seems like she was a very lively woman.
I had always heard stories about the Shelton gang, Capone, etc but I never really paid much attention to it. It really didn't hold any of my interest. Now that I am finding out the tie that I have with them I am going to dig a little deeper to find out more about my family history.
We didn't grow up with wealth, violence or anything like that. Matter of fact, I was told by my aunt that after Grandma had seen Grandpa (that still sounds really weird referring to Roy Shelton as Grandpa) get shot through the window that Grandma decided to pack up and move her only child (my mothers mom) away from the violence. This is what seperated us from the Shelton Gang.
My Grandma Blanche had one child. Unfortunately I wasnt able to ever meet her due to the fact that she fell ill and passed away when my mother was just a teen. I'm sure she would have been an amazing woman. From this one child that Grandma had she passed away having tons of grandkids, great grandkids and great great grandkids. She was very much loved. I miss her tremendously!
Anyways, if anyone has any tips on information that I could look at to look up my family history please let me know. I grew up with the attitude that family is the most important thing you have. I would really like to know what my family is like and where we came from.
Thanks

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Hell there are tons of books written about the sheltons and blackie harris ,,, from the pond creek area here in so.il. Big earl and carl , dalta shelton,, they raised a little hell now and then in this area, had a lot of stuff going on in peoria also . dont know much about roy shelton, maybe related somehow??? brother or cousin???

cbb2000

Dec 7, 2010
Roy is their brother. From everything that I have researched I believe he is the oldest of them all. I could be mistaken though. I'm still doing alot of reading and stuff. I found out yesterday my mother was given a book from a friend but she didn't want to read it. She's one of those that tries to turn a blind side to things that happens with her family that might not be so great. However, one of my aunts does have the book now. I'm going to get it from her and read it very soon. This has become something very interesting to research.

Mar 7, 2008
NM.MT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab,GP3500,Whites,TM 808
Charles Blacke Harris is my great uncle i grew up in pond creek outside fairfield i know were all there homes were in this area
if anyone needs info feel free to call 505-775-3301
Blacke Rountree

Jun 16, 2011
In response to Roy Shelton and how he died, I have a different story as my grandmother was a witness to his death. Her and her cousins were out visiting and had gone to watch Roy on the tractor as he was working in the fields. A shot was heard and it was only one and the kids kids saw Roy fall back on the tractor so the kids ran to the house with my grandma's cousin yelling Roy's dead on the tractor. His wife was there and it was my grandmother's father who got on the tractor and stopped it. All of this is in a book called Brothers Notorious: The Sheltons. Grandma said there are inaccuracies in the book and she contacted the author of this as it states that there was 5 shots in Roy's death but her being there I trust what she says. Her dad grew up with the Shelton's and referred to them as cousins and in the Mcleansboro cemetery there are many Sheltons close to where her parents are buried. Hope this helps on trying to locate their hideouts as the book contains a lot of information to the Sheltons activities.

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dumbblondedoe said:
I am actually related to the Shelton brother gang, if u wanna know anything just ask me. my email is [email protected]

Hi dumbblondedoe - Thanks for the offer of info... I would like to know where the treasure is. You can PM me it's location. Thanks! :icon_sunny:

bubbles-west

Jan 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandparents lived across the road from Roy Shelton. I have heard a lot of stories about the Sheltons from my grandparents, my dad and his sister.

Vonet

May 8, 2012
Hanson, Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was Blanche's maiden name?
What was her daughter's name?
I do Shelton research and am very interested and will hhelp you in any way I can
Do you know Ruthie Shelton? She is Little Carl's daughter....I have met her
[email protected] if you care to contact me
Vonette J Shelton-Curtis

May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the shelton brothers are my great uncles on my fathers they lived s/e of a little town called fairfield Il. they call the area pond creek bottoms there are alot of stories of the brothers on my mothers side there was charle harris he was part of the shelton gang in the early days they broke off and so the book was wrote bloody williams co. there is alot of places down there to look if they was going to hide cache i would think it would be around there homes in pond creek stories of old machine guns and tons of money are still talked about within the family

well then looks like you and i are family then :)one of the shelton boys was my mommas real pappy:) and yes there are alot of stash spots that havent been uncovered:)

May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy **** another relative:) i am fidning out quite recently since my mommas real daddy was one of the shelton brothers:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread